Epoxy Coatings

May 15, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
I have a vinyl lined pool with steel walls and a concrete bottom. I converted the pool to a hybrid last year by removing the liner, adding a 12" tiles border and fiberglassing all seams and then painting on a high build epoxy. I have an adhesion problem but only in areas where I had done concrete repair. I waited 30 days for most of the repairs before coating but was a bit short on others..... Big mistake I think. I sand blasted the entire pools did what I thought was an excellent prep on everything.
Bottom line, I need to recoat! I like epoxy but reviews are hard to find, anybody know Ultraguard?

Welcome to TFP :)

Sorry no one has answered you, epoxy paints in pools are not very popular as they do not last very long, there are a couple people that have used them but not many..

I, actually, have had great success with an Epoxy product in my gunite pool. As they say, the devil is in the prep. You have to make sure you scratch up the surface enough for the epoxy to adhere. UltraGuard...no. I have heard horror stories; and, it's STUPID Expensive. I used Pilgrim Permacoate PLASTIC 12 years ago - Pilgrim is out of Tampa. After 7 years, it started to chalk and bubble. But, it lasted and is still holding up - just not super pretty. Chemical use went from ridiculous to next to nothing - - as plaster has its own chemical consumption probs. I just ordered more product as I'm going to refinish again this year. I used fiberglass fabric in between two coats of Plastic; but, this time I'm just going to grind down the bubbles and repaint with two coats of the Pilgrim Plastic. If you keep your chemistry balanced, it 'should' last for years. If you don't, it'll start to chalk rather quickly. I might be able to get you a deal on the product if you message me back. I just ordered from them; and, depending on your pool size, I might be able to get some more -- not sure -- and have it shipped to you. It's around $90-100 a gallon - and that includes the activator. It'll take 16 Gallons for two coats of my 20x40 pool with 9 ft. deep end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.