Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how and how strong should pump run?

1. Back To Top    #1

how and how strong should pump run?

Water looks great, chemistry is very good, no bromides - yet. But I've no idea how long to run the pump. Right now it's on from 7:30AM to 11AM @ 48.6% and from 11AM tp 5PM @ 70.7%.

These are the settings the pool people set up. I have no idea whether it is too long or too short.

I run the SWG at 10% and have plenty of FC and no CC.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Rob
    An open (no screen) Pebble Tec 12,000 gallon, below ground saltwater pool on a canal on the Gulf of Mexico. Installed November 2015 with a Hayward Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 chlorine generator, Hayward variable speed pump and 120 sq. ft. cartridge filter. I just found the TRP site and am waiting for my test kit (May 2016).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how and how strong should pump run?

I think that depends a lot on your pool, returns, skimmers, geography, etc. The PB set mine up to run at 2400 RPM (that's about 70%) for 10 hours a day. I started reducing the flow each week by 100 rpm, and eventually ended up with poor skimmer action at 1500 rpm (43%). My problem is that the prevailing winds blow to the west, but that end of the pool has an elevated wall due to the grade of my yard. So the skimmer could not be placed there without a lot of trouble. Hence, my skimmer placement is not optimal. After some fiddling, I think 1900 rpm works best for me.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

3. Back To Top    #3

Most pools can get by with less than 4 hours of run time per day. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

As long as you get enough chlorine in the pool, the rest of the run time is optional and just depends on how clean you want to pool each day.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

We live on a saltwater canal running north-south. Prevailing winds depend on season, strongest from the north. I have no idea what the RPM of the motor is, the setting of the pump is in percentages. We have a very open back yard, a couple palm trees, the house, and the canal, so we get little very debris in the pool.
    mas985 suggested less than 4 hours of run time, so I'm going to try that for a while and see what happens. Since we have a SWCG, the chlorine generated is dependent on both pump speed and run time.

Thanks for you help.

Rob
    An open (no screen) Pebble Tec 12,000 gallon, below ground saltwater pool on a canal on the Gulf of Mexico. Installed November 2015 with a Hayward Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 chlorine generator, Hayward variable speed pump and 120 sq. ft. cartridge filter. I just found the TRP site and am waiting for my test kit (May 2016).

5. Back To Top    #5

Chlorine is dependent on run time only, speed doesn't matter. Does your pump have a display showing the RPM? Most VS pumps do.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach