Have had this year cloudy water that I can't figure out. Cleaned cartridge filters which are almost new and Slammed pool with no noticeable improvement. Today pool shows Chlorine at 5 PPM with salt cell (has never been too low), PH 7.6, Alkalinity 75, Calcium 650, Cyuric Acid 75 PPM, Borates 40, temp 92. Per pool math calculator CSI at .37. I know Calcium is high but have had clear water at these levels in the past. Water is 3 1/2 years old, pump runs 6 hours @ 2100 RPM, 4 hours @ 1200 RPM. Any suggestions anyone???

Hello! :wave: Regardless of our history or pool maintenance or age of water, cloudy water is certainly an indication of algae. With a SWG and CYA of basically 80, your SLAM level would be 31. I would first lower pH to about 7.2 then increase FC to 31 and maintain that SLAM level until you pass the 3 TPF SLAM criteria (see SLAMK link below). Your CH is a bit high, but certainly not anything out of the norm for your general area, and no reason for the cloudiness. Perform the SLAM accurately and that should clear-up your cloudiness. Let us know if you have any other questions.

My water is starting season 5! There is no need to drain or change water with TFPC. Except for high CH, and your CH is nowhere near too high. We have people here on TFP with CH well over 1000 ppm who are doing fine.

Agree with Pat, cloudy water is a sign of algae and a need to SLAM. You can Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) if you are unsure.

On your CSI, it would probably be better to let your PH rise a bit and try to keep your CSI between 0 and -0.3. CSI on the negative side protects better against scaling, which is what you are most at risk for in your location.

I did follow the TFP slamming procedure, FC was 34 until I had FC loss to nothing overnight. Maybe my test regents are bad, the R-0002 is slightly pink. I will do it again with fresh regents

- - - Updated - - -

So a PH of maybe 7.8 would lower my CSI that much? is there any other way to lower CSI? I do clean my salt cell too often, like every 3 months.

I did follow the TFP slamming procedure, FC was 34 until I had FC loss to nothing overnight. Maybe my test regents are bad, the R-0002 is slightly pink. I will do it again with fresh regents
The SLAM procedure says you must pass all three tests before you end the SLAM

If you have cloudy water, you have not finished

SLAM Process

- - - Updated - - -

So a PH of maybe 7.8 would lower my CSI that much? is there any other way to lower CSI? I do clean my salt cell too often, like every 3 months.

Enter your numbers in Poolmath and it will calculate your CSI for you. The three primary numbers that contribute to CSI are PH, TA and CH. More here, Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

The SLAM procedure says you must pass all three tests before you end the SLAM
Yeah, like Tim5055 says, you did not finish the SLAM by having your water crystal clear.

Brush often, run pump 24/7, do everything in your power to get the last bit of cloudiness gone.

Reread the SLAM article and stick with it.....you are getting there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.