Last October I bought a house with an in ground plaster pool. The pool was recently painted before I bought the house. As this is my first pool I did not know anything about maintaining it. So I went to the local mom and pop pool store and they gave me a bunch of tips. They told me to use liquid chlorine only.
Everything has been going well, the pool has looked great. Well now with summer coming, a friend told me I should use the chlorine tablets in a floater to maintain a more consistent free chlorine level. I started using them a couple weeks go and suddenly I am noticing a bunch of places in the pool where the paint seems to be wearing away (I can see the old pool plaster underneath the paint).
Could this be caused by using the tablets vs solely the liquid chlorine or is this just a coincidence?
My current readings are:
Free Chlorine: 4 (added some liquid last night but usually is around 2)
Combined Chlorine: .4
180 Calcium hardness
I couldn't get a reading on the CYA so I'm assuming less than 30.