CYA Test

PumaJr

Aug 18, 2015
Austin, TX
Do those CYA tests go bad? It's not registering any in my water. I've added 6 pucks over the last couple weeks to try to bring it up and still nothing. I have had to drain probably 1.5 feet of water in the last couple months due to all the rain we've been getting but I was at 50 last summer.

I normally add bleach. I just have these around for when I go out of town. I didn't realize they only add that much.

- - - Updated - - -

Using TF 100. I'm about to order more of the chlorine test. What is the shelf life of the rest of the tests?

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floatie will also suffice. Best not to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Over and over, we see too many rookies attempting to raise CYA with pucks.

Generally, that is a bad idea. If you are new to pools, you will find maintenance much better if you stick with Liquid Chlorine for Chlorine and separate granulated pucks to raise CYA.

Without getting into detail, it simply works better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.