Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Test

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Test

Do those CYA tests go bad? It's not registering any in my water. I've added 6 pucks over the last couple weeks to try to bring it up and still nothing. I have had to drain probably 1.5 feet of water in the last couple months due to all the rain we've been getting but I was at 50 last summer.
    24,000 gal IG plaster, Hayward sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CYA Test

Six 3" pucks in your pool would only raise your CYA by 8 ppm, well below the measurable limit.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What test kit are you using?

4. Back To Top    #4

You should add granulated CYA (calculate the amount with pool math) and switch to liquid chlorine.

Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

In pool math you can also calculate the amount of CYA those pucks will add using the bottom section (after filling in volume).

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I normally add bleach. I just have these around for when I go out of town. I didn't realize they only add that much.

- - - Updated - - -

Using TF 100. I'm about to order more of the chlorine test. What is the shelf life of the rest of the tests?
    24,000 gal IG plaster, Hayward sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floatie will also suffice. Best not to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PumaJr View Post
    Using TF 100. I'm about to order more of the chlorine test. What is the shelf life of the rest of the tests?
    2 Years+ if you store them in a cool, dark and dry area.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Over and over, we see too many rookies attempting to raise CYA with pucks.

Generally, that is a bad idea. If you are new to pools, you will find maintenance much better if you stick with Liquid Chlorine for Chlorine and separate granulated pucks to raise CYA.

Without getting into detail, it simply works better.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School