Bromine testing

welbo

Apr 14, 2016
College Station, TX
I'm having a hard time getting a grip on what's going on with my spa so I bought some r-0872 to go with my K-2006C kit components. I thought the r-0872 would work with the r-0870 powder to show Bromine (and not chlorine). After adding bleach and letting it mix then testing three times with OTO, r-0871 and r-0872, the results all came back the same. So out of curiosity, I looked up the msds from Taylor on the two reagents. I don't know much about chemistry but saw someone mention doing that before on here. These reagents appear to be identical to each other. Iron ethylene diammonium sulfate and deionized water.

Is there a way to test if there is bromine or bromide present in the water without showing when there is chlorine present? Or does it matter? I was shooting for having a bromine spa but I believe all of my sodium bromide may be used up and all of my oxidizer is just chlorine.

The reagents are the same, just different concentrations. They react identically to chlorine or bromine. No way to tell if you have bromide in the water. However, you can always add more bromide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.