Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing chemicals 6 weeks after replastering

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing chemicals 6 weeks after replastering

Hello all! We just replastered our pool with pebble and had a company start up the pool and brush for the first month. We added salt, CYA and turned on the SWG after 1 month. We did this with the help of Leslie's, LOL. Now we are having a difficult time getting a good reading from Leslie's to maintain out warranty. Leslie's even admitted no one ever gets a perfect reading! Then they sold us too much salt and we cautiously added it over 3 days. Here's my question: The Stonescapes recommended FC level of 1 to 3 PPM seems low for the recommended CYA of 50 to 80 PPM. I will add baking soda (9.3 kg according to pool math) and then my PH will rise. Finally, can anyone recommend a reliable pool company to test our water in South Austin so we can maintain this elusive warranty!!!

StoneScapes recommends:
    FC 1 to 3 PPM
    TC 1 to 3 PPM
    pH 7.2 to 7.6
    TA 80 to 120
    CH 200 to 400
    CYA 50 to 80
    salt 2500 to 3500

Current reading from DPD
    FC 4
    TC 4
    PH 7.4
    CH 270
    TA 50
    CYA 60
    salt 3600 (according to Leslie's who admits their salt readings are high)
    Austin, TX in ground 28,000 Midnight Blue regular pebble w/ abalone pool and spa, Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator, Cart filter, Jandy Niceless lights, Aqualink automation, Leslie's DPD test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balancing chemicals 6 weeks after replastering

Following TFP recommendations will result in better, safer water. Period.

The Stonescapes recommendations make no sense when you consider the FC / CYA relationship, which the pool industry willfully ignores.

FC and CYA have virtually no impact on the pool's surface. The pH, TA, and CH are what could impact the surface.

Sometimes I think these testing requirements to maintain a warranty are a bit of a scam to allow the manufacturer to void it since maintaining their ranges might be impossible. What if my tap water has CH of 500ppm? Or what if my tap water has a TA of 200ppm?

BTW, you should really add the FAS-DPD Chlorine Test to your kit so you have the equivalent of one of the recommended test kits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I can recommend the best pool tester in the world YOU

I would recommend the TF100 (in my sig below) to keep a record of your water levels, this will give you the best and most accurate testing we know... I would also check the boxes next to the speedstir, Taylor salt test

I just saw you have the DPD already, yep, add the FAS-DPD test will be good
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Well all righty then! It looks like I've learned a lot here including snapping to the impossible FC/CYA relationship. Actually it is a hugh relief not having to continue to go to Leslie's and play their game. I'm happy to have figured it out 6 weeks into balancing. Still, getting PH and TA to play my game is tough with new plaster! I will order the recommended kits and increase my TA. Thanks again!
    Austin, TX in ground 28,000 Midnight Blue regular pebble w/ abalone pool and spa, Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator, Cart filter, Jandy Niceless lights, Aqualink automation, Leslie's DPD test