Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First K-2006 Test

1. Back To Top    #1

First K-2006 Test

Hi everyone! I got my K-2006 today and did my first test. I think my levels are pretty good for everything except chlorine, from what I've read here on the forums. Here's what I've got:

FC = 0-1 (it was hard to tell if the sample turned pink at all, but it was at least kind of cloudy and maybe very faintly pink after adding the powder)
    CC = .5-1 (1-2 drops turned it from cloudy to clear)
    pH = 7.8
    CYA = <30
    CH = 325
    TA = 80

The water is clear and sparkling, no algae... do I need to SLAM or should I just add 77 oz of 10% chlorine, per the Pool Math calculator?

How long is the DPD powder supposed to take to dissolve? I must have been standing there swirling it for a couple of minutes before the clumps at the bottom finally dissolved.
    Pool Stats: 15k gal IG plaster, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair WhisperFlo pump, Pentair Legend Platinum pressure cleaner w/ Polaris PB4-60 booster pump. Test Kit: Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First K-2006 Test

No obvious reason to slam. Raise your FC to 6 then consider raising your CYA level to 50 being in Austin and adjusting your FC accordingly. ALL of the dpd powder will not dissolve. Goes a good pink color---call it good.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Congrats on testing water on your own! Woody got your started. Also make sure your pH never goes over 7.8. Stay close to the Poolmath Calculator and practice it from time to time and you'll be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

awesome bring your FC up and test 30 minutes later and see where you stand, if you really want to make sure do an OCLT tonight in my sig below
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmm. If I need to raise CYA as well as chlorine, is this an opportunity to use up some of my surplus chlorinated shock? (Leslie's Power Powder Plus) Not sure how much CYA a dose of that would add.

Thanks, all!
    Pool Stats: 15k gal IG plaster, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair WhisperFlo pump, Pentair Legend Platinum pressure cleaner w/ Polaris PB4-60 booster pump. Test Kit: Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

That just has calcium in it----No cya.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Not all the powder dissolves initially. Rule of thumb: if you see one or two undissolved particles, you have enough powder. You don't always need two full scoops. Taylor encourages that so you use up the reagents faster and have to buy more. Somehow when you start adding drops, the undissolved pieces dissolve. Don't ask me why. It's just something I've observed. If the water doesn't turn pink, you have no chlorine. You can eliminate insufficient powder as a cause for the weird readings if you see some undissolved grains. Pretty simple, huh?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm having trouble getting my FC up, any ideas? It was 1.5 this morning, so I added 48 oz of 10% chlorine bleach per the poolmath calculator, and this evening it's still 1.5. (But I guess it didn't go *down* so that's something.) The filter ran for a solid six hours, so there should have been a couple of complete turnovers this morning after I added the chlorine.

9. Back To Top    #9

Did you add CYA? 30ppm is too low in TX, so you are going to lose a lot of FC to the sun.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I just deployed my sock o' stabilizer this evening. I was trying to get the FC up a little before I added it... maybe I am misremembering what CYA does. Back to Pool School! I'll keep adding chlorine and hope that as CYA comes up over the next week it'll require less chlorine. Thanks!