Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intellichlor 40 calibration beyond ver.3.0

1. Back To Top    #1

Intellichlor 40 calibration beyond ver.3.0

From what I see on the forums the Pentair intellichlor more recent models beyond version 1.9 can not be field calibrated. Mine is ver 3.1.

My IC 40 is reading 4100PPM, But my test strips read about 3200PPM. (should be about 3200 based on the amount of salt I added)

The cell is clean.

Has anyone come across a way to field calibrate the newer models?

I read a post that said for every degree above 77 salt level may read elevated by 100 PPM. Is this true ? If so, It is consistent because I keep my pool at about 88.

I am in a good working range now, but if the salt drops over the season and it is reading high, there could be less than ideal salt while the unit is running. Would this damage the unit?

Many Thanks.
    " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    19,000 gallon sylvan pool, Easytouch 2 4p automation, Screenlogic interface, Intelliflo VF 3050 pump, Intellichem with Intellichlor 40 chlorinator/Muriatic acid, Raypac millivolt natural gas heater.Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump.Coverstar automatic cover hydraulic mechanism with PCS cover. Wet edge Luna quartz finish 2016. Northeast climate.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Intellichlor 40 calibration beyond ver.3.0

if the cell is happy and working don't worry about it Those strip salt test are not the greatest and you probably already had salt in the pool so it is probably 36/3700 ppm the taylor salt drop test kit is really what you want...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

The salinity is temperature compensated. However, I think that the temperature sensor tends to fail fairly often. If it fails completely, the unit uses 77f as a default temperature reference and any temperature different from 77 will get an inaccurate salinity reading depending on how far the water temperature is from 77.

If the temperature sensor sends inaccurate information, then the salinity reading will be off depending on how far the temperature reading is from reality.

The flow switch contains the temperature sensor. You can try replacing that to see if that helps. Google replace Intellichlor flow sensor for directions.

4. Back To Top    #4

The Intellichlor reports high salt at 4500 ppm (according to it) but will continue to produce chlorine. I had my salt above 5000 ppm due to me believing the low salt warning in colder water and continuing to add more salt 3 or so years ago. It worked fine producing chlorine then and still works fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks to all -- if it continues to make no sense I will replace the flow/temp sensor.

Thanks again.
    19,000 gallon sylvan pool, Easytouch 2 4p automation, Screenlogic interface, Intelliflo VF 3050 pump, Intellichem with Intellichlor 40 chlorinator/Muriatic acid, Raypac millivolt natural gas heater.Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump.Coverstar automatic cover hydraulic mechanism with PCS cover. Wet edge Luna quartz finish 2016. Northeast climate.

6. Back To Top    #6

Update.

Brand new saline test strips record salt at 3250ppm. Bought the taylor test kit for salt and it reads 3900 PPM. So the IC40 reads 4100, and the reagent taylor kit is 3900-- I suspect the strips are just not as accurate.
    Unit is happy and making chlorine when needed-- so i suspect it is working just fine. When it fails most people seem to have issues with it reading low salt.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Man, I was off by 200ppm So close...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **