Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash Hose

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash Hose

Just wondering about something about the backwash hose. I have an Intex Pump (Model SF60110 (3,000 GPM)) and it doesn't say nor does it say that after backwashing I should replace the hose with the end cap. Yesterday after backwashing the pump, I keep my hose attached to the pump. Can I just leave it attached?

Another question about the pump not about the hose. Amazon claims that this is a 3,000 GPM pump. But according to the manual it states under Maximum Flow Rate: that it's 9,275 LPH (2,460 GPH). On another page it states (for this pump) that For one cycle it will take 4 hours. What is 1 cycle?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwash Hose

Quote Originally Posted by timlab View Post
    Just wondering about something about the backwash hose. I have an Intex Pump (Model SF60110 (3,000 GPM)) and it doesn't say nor does it say that after backwashing I should replace the hose with the end cap. Yesterday after backwashing the pump, I keep my hose attached to the pump. Can I just leave it attached?
    Yes. However... the hose may be an attractive nuisance if there's children about. Also, backwash hoses are notoriously flimsy and like to pop and spew filthy water in the worst places. I'd be afraid of UV deterioration on the hose if it's left sitting out. But so far as functioning, there's no reason it has to be disconnected and capped.

Another question about the pump not about the hose. Amazon claims that this is a 3,000 GPM pump. But according to the manual it states under Maximum Flow Rate: that it's 9,275 LPH (2,460 GPH). On another page it states (for this pump) that For one cycle it will take 4 hours. What is 1 cycle?

Thanks
    Who knows what they mean? I imagine it's like horsepower ratings where they sometimes test it on a dyno completely stripped and sometimes with all the accessories installed and then when you actually measure what is at the tires where they meet the ground it's something totally different. A cycle is probably how long it takes to pump a volume of water equivalent to the volume of the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Backwash Hose

I just leave mine attached, just roll it up and hang it over the sand filter bell. It's out of the way, and the wind never seems to bother it.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.