High CYA

Jan 31, 2016
los angeles,ca
Hi,

Last week when I tested the water it showed higher PH and so I added Muriatic acid. Added about half a gallon. It is a 20,000 gallon pool.

This week when I tested the water at local store they said I have high CYA. It is at 150 ppm. Is it real high? Watched some youtube videos and they say it should be around 30 and they recommend adding Bio Active.

Should I add Bio Active? Is it a problem having CYA that high?

Thanks a lot.

Bio active is not a recommended product. I would not use it.

150 is too high. Best is to get your own test kit and test yourself and then do a partial drain and refill as needed to lower CYA.

How did you pH get high while the CYA also got high?

What are all of your other readings?

My test kit was always showing high PH and I did not test for CYA back then. I should have tested for CYA before adding acid.

My numbers are below.

Free chlorine 8
Total Chlorine 8
Calcium 800
CYA 150
Total Alkalinity 100
PH 7.7
Phosphates 1500

At this 150 level will it affect the pool equipment or it will be bad for the skin if we swim in it?
I am hopping it will come down by itself after some time.

If I have to drain, how much water I have to drain?

Thanks

PH and CYA do NOT effect each other. You probably want to have your CYA at 50 or 60 at the most. So, about 2/3 drain and refill. If your pool is vinyl liner be sure to leave a foot of water in the shallow end when draining. If it is gunite check to be sure you aren't in a high water table area that could float your pool shell if your drain too much.

The problem is that the chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Above 100 just requires too much chlorine to manage and the PH test does not work when FC is above 10.

Read here for a better understanding of water chemistry, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Also add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

EDIT: PH and CYA do NOT effect each other, left out the most important word!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.