Yucca Valley, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My intellichlor keeps showing a flow error light. I'd opened the pool in March and it was working normally until recently.

Things I've tried:
1) Increased pump speed
2) Reapply silicone to pump lid seal
3) Removed vacuum from Vac-mate to allow for maximum water flow.
4) Back flush filter - I'm not doing a full back flush, just pulling the handle up, and then pushing it back down when I see the flow light go green. It takes seconds.
5) Cleaned the intellichlor - did this first, even though there wasn't that much build up.

I thought it might be the intellichlor, but I notice a lack of suction at the vac-mate and pool cleaner.

Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to TFP :)

When was the last time the filter was broken down, cleaned and recharged?
How does your water look

It sounds like the flow is getting too low and your SWG is stopping and giving an error..

could you post your numbers from today?

Please add your state to your location so it shows up over there <-----, climate is important when we help you with your pool and your SWG.

What is your water temp?

What RPM are you running the pump?

Haven't checked the temp lately, I'd guess somewhere in the 70's. My RPM was 2440 and I've bumped it up to 2550. My high setting RPM for running the spa is 3300. I had a water test done Friday at a chain pool store in Palm Desert and the only thing off was my calcium was high (normal for my water) and my chlorine was low (because the flow is low and intellichlor stopped working.)

What is SWG?

I broke down the filter and cleaned it completely in March, I do it at the beginning of every season. The filter pressure gauge doesn't show a high pressure, not sure it is even making it to 1. When it gets close to 2 is when I clean it.

Aside from the dirty steps where the cover doesn't reach, the water looks clear. Need to take the cover off and see how the pool looks as a whole, plan on doing that tomorrow.

SWG is saltwater chlorine generator, need to add to your sig so people will know it is saltwater for future advice.

That pretty much rules out all the options except for a bad flow switch in the cell. Unless the skimmer baskets/bottom drain or pump basket are clogged with debris. Does the water flow to the pool returns feel normal?

Is the pump basket broken or cracked anywhere?
Have you replaced the pump basket recently, or in the past,because it was broken or cracked?
If yes to either, then debris will be able to find its way to the impeller and clog it.

This is a common problem that a lot of people are not aware of, based on questionable suction at cleaner, and the flow issue you mention

Clogged impellers reduce any pumps normal performance curve, and it only takes a pebble or two to cut normal operation by 25-50% so check and make sure this is not a problem, disassembly of pump is best way to be certain it is clean.

Without sounding mean there are actual products call o-ring lube. Because you have pvc parts you are working with try not to use petroleum based products. Pure silicone grease or silicone based o-ring lubes are best. A tube like this one will last you a lifetime. You can find cheaper lubes I've used this stuff for years and I have never seen it swell an o-ring or pvc fitting.
http://www.amazon.com/CORNING-MOLYKOTE-55-Silicone-Lubricant/dp/B00B2OHYMU

You may get a different answer from others but gently wiping the oring and the grove clean, then relubricating every time you take it apart is the ideal way to keep things in good condition. Be very very mindful of and grit or debris on the o-ring or in the grove.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Checked the pool return flow. When the flow light is green, it feels normal, when the flow light is red it feels low. Definitely don't think it is the SWG. I've got Ortega 3-way valves between the pool/spa drains/inlets and the pump that might be causing the problem. I took the suction side apart tonight and put some silicone on it, but the seals look a little worn. Going to replace those seals and see if that fixes the problem.

The flow for my pool is as follows: skimmer basket/pool drains to 3-way valve to the pump, likewise for the spa drain. So any leaks would have to be at the skimmer basket (from the vac-mate and cleaner hose connection), the 3-way valves, or the pvc connection to the pump which hasn't been removed since the pump was installed.

I don't suspect the pump efficiency as I've kept the baskets in good condition and try to keep them cleaned out, but will consider cleaning it out anyway. Also, the suction starts out high, but then drops, even at higher rpms. Is there a possibility of the pump having a seal leak? Maybe one of the drain plugs?

Problem solved! Bolts on the pump were loose. I'd noticed them when I opened the pool, but didn't realize what they were for. When I disassembled it to check if the impeller was clogged, I saw that the housing bolts were loose and were allowing the seal to break enough for the pump to lose prime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.