Trichlor effect on PH

Wildcat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tucson, AZ
When I go to pool math and enter 16 oz of trichlor it says the effect on PH will be .59.
Does that mean if my PH is 8.2 after the addition it will be just over 7.6?

Or does it mean .59 of .1 and my PH will only drop to like 8.1?

I added trichlor shock last week ( my CYA was actually down to 25 where it was close to 200 two years ago. Yea!) and it seemed to have little effect on PH

The pH change estimation is at best an approximation. As it says immediately below Effects of Adding Chemicals
Note: pH calculations are not exact. These numbers are only suggestive of the relative magnitude of the pH change you can expect. Small changes, +-0.4, with pH between 7.2-7.8, TA around 80-120, and Borate near zero will be approximately correct. The further you go from those ranges the less these pH changes will correspond to reality.

pH is logarithmic, like the Richter scale. From 8 to 7 is 1/10 the change from 9 to 8. The higher the initial pH the more acid it will take to lower it, but not in a straight line progression. It's exponential. Even TA affects the acid dose.

The TA reduction is generally accurate when dealing with acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.