Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trichlor effect on PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Trichlor effect on PH

When I go to pool math and enter 16 oz of trichlor it says the effect on PH will be .59.
    Does that mean if my PH is 8.2 after the addition it will be just over 7.6?

Or does it mean .59 of .1 and my PH will only drop to like 8.1?

I added trichlor shock last week ( my CYA was actually down to 25 where it was close to 200 two years ago. Yea!) and it seemed to have little effect on PH
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trichlor effect on PH

The pH change estimation is at best an approximation. As it says immediately below Effects of Adding Chemicals
    Note: pH calculations are not exact. These numbers are only suggestive of the relative magnitude of the pH change you can expect. Small changes, +-0.4, with pH between 7.2-7.8, TA around 80-120, and Borate near zero will be approximately correct. The further you go from those ranges the less these pH changes will correspond to reality.
    pH is logarithmic, like the Richter scale. From 8 to 7 is 1/10 the change from 9 to 8. The higher the initial pH the more acid it will take to lower it, but not in a straight line progression. It's exponential. Even TA affects the acid dose.

The TA reduction is generally accurate when dealing with acid.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, I think I got it. Add and then test to see the real effect. PH seems to be one of the more incalculable things compared to CL, CYA, CH, and TA
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

4. Back To Top    #4

One other thought, my trichlor, though in original package and stored at about 75 degrees is two years old. Doe the CYA and CL degrade over time like bleach?

5. Back To Top    #5

No, not nearly as much. Should be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach