New pool and first test kit question

May 14, 2016
Amory, MS
Newbie post. This is the first full year with new house/pool (too us anyway). Found this site and love the info. I received my TFT-100 today. As I was waiting on the kit, a coworker "helped" to clear up my pool from the winter. I believe he "nuked" what he thought was yellow algae. I started the tests today and got these numbers

FC 21
CC .5
PH lighter than the lowest b/c FC is so high?
TA went from green to clear with a reddish tinge no change like any of the vids I watched
CYA 50

There's been no chlorine put in since last Sunday. It's been sunny in the 80s here. Do I need to use anything to get the chlorine down? Is the TA and PH whacky because of the chlorine? The pool is relatively clear, a little cloudy in the deep end. I felt a lot more sure of myself before I got the actual test kit going. Kinda like walking in chem class and remembering the final you forgot.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum obvious Ole Miss fan! So much for the good old days. FC will fall on it's own. PH reads falsely high with FC at 10 or over. Sounds like you just need practice testing the TA---but it is highly likely it is very low. Use pool math and dose it to 30 to 40 range and retest. Raise it to 60 or so if testing verifies it. I'm guessing your PH is low based on you description.

Good deal. I'll go that route and definitely on the practice. Good ol' days...Slow Dixie in the Grove and Colonel Reb making his rounds...faint smells of bourbon and expensive perfume wafting through the air...Hotty Toddy

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

For emphasis, I want to remind you that your pH is VERY low.

Using PoolMath, get your pH into the mid 7's.....sooner rather than later.

Let us know if you need help with the dosages.

Wait one hour after using 20 mule team Borax and then re-test. TA will come up along with pH.

Post back and let us know.

I had read where the high chlroine would skew the ph results. Do I need to wing it and go ahead and raise the ph some without knowing exactly where I'm at? FC was 21 yesterday and was the same today.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.