Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing Advice

I know at this point in the season everyone is asking for pool opening advice. But i need closing advice. This year was horrible. When i took off the cover.. It was worse than the pond down the street.

Can you guys give me your number one piece of advice as to how to close the pool so I don't have a swamp when i open?? I have only owned the house for three years and while its been bad the past two seasons when I open... Its been nothing like this. Keep in mind... Im still learning.

What am I doing wrong when I close my pool for the season??

I went from this when I closed...

To this when I opened today....

16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing Advice

I am new to this but I opened crystal clear. About 20-24 oz algaecide 60 and brought FC to 8.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

3. Back To Top    #3

When do you close? Typically closing late after the water temp has dropped below 60 and opening early will make a difference. I also bring water up to slam level, let it drop, add Polyquat, and then added more bleach to slam level before closing. It was our first year opening our pool but we opened clear!

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Im in CT. We closed September 27 last year.

16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I've opened and closed pools for over 10 years. The reasons vary by pool. Is it a tension cover with springs or is it a solid cover weighed down by tubes? How old? I also see your pool is at the bottom of a slope. Possible you had a washout?
    Would anyone recommend checking for high nitrate or phosphate levels ? Low FC and some heat from an early spring/indian summer?
    Put that liner back in the bead with some hot water and a taped up flat head.
    Best of luck.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a tension cover w springs. Would that make a difference??

Would should my chlorine level be when I close?? Perhaps it wasn't high enough when I closed???

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

If the cover gets to be old it lets in a lot of sunlight, enabling algae growth when there is no circulation, no chlorine, organics in the water and some heat. Solid cover when old will act as a tea bag if leaves get on and break down. Same premise with allowing light in.
    Hard to know the exact causes without knowing the surroundings,closing chemical levels,your maintenance and testing etc.
    Last edited by BellissimoH2O; 05-14-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Left out important detail

8. Back To Top    #8

So u think I could have avoided this by opening a bit earlier??

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

There is a sticky thread especially for opening the pool , set up by one of the moderators. Much more information and opinion. I cant link it from my phone, sorry.
    You're on the right website to find your answers though.
    Best of luck.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I did no cover, closed the pool in nov and opened last day of Feb, pool water below 50 before closing and before opening.. took FC to SLAM level before close.. added 1 gallon 10% and brushed in Feb 1st because FC was at 5... this is what it looked like when I opened

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

That amount of goo didn't just happen in a few weeks. Seems like you had a closing issue to me.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    That amount of goo didn't just happen in a few weeks. Seems like you had a closing issue to me.
    I agree... But what was my issue??

13. Back To Top    #13

Give us the details of how you closed. Hoping you have chemical records and the date of closing. Then we can troubleshoot.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you need help clearing up the pool now?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    Would should my chlorine level be when I close?? Perhaps it wasn't high enough when I closed???

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    It's a possibility. Your FC level would be dictated by your CYA level so until you know that we couldn't say. You can find the corresponding chart in the forum by doing a search. Stick with this group and they will help you out for sure!

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

When I closed (September 27) my CYA was at 40 and FC at about 7. Ph was fine. I didn't have a trace of algae. I did not add algaecide. I have a mesh cover that doesn't appear to be all that old - came w the pool when we bought the house three year ago.

16. Back To Top    #16

Most of us look most importantly at water temperature as the guide to closing and opening. 60 degrees is the magic number. (I go a bit lower to make sure). Most of us also take the pool to shock level for CYA before closing. Some of us then add polyquat. Of those that do, some of us then return the FC to shock level.

I have a feeling in your case it was temperature and/or not taking it to shock level.

Also, you could try putting a cheapo tarp over your mesh cover and secure it with sand bags or bricks. Some people find that keeping debris off that way helps with opening.

17. Back To Top    #17

Update...

Thanks to this site I'm ready for Summer!!

I've only owned my pool for three years and everything I have learned came from Pool School and the great advice on this site. And I have never stepped foot in a pool store...

Ok, maybe once for a rubber stopper...