5 Year old TFT-100 test kit

Jul 9, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Just got another pool after drying out for 5 years and still have my TFT-100 test kit... should I chunk it and start over, or just order refills for everything... And I may need a slight bit of coaching on getting my chems right since I may be a tad rusty... LOL!!!!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

I want to start adding CYA in my pool while filling it.... do you think that test would still be close to the correct numbers? I have ordered the refill kit but trying not to waste time on the chems... Also, do pool chems go bad, like CYA??

TIA!!:confused:

You can add the CYA now during fill and it will not hurt anything to check CYA after it is all dissolved... it might be close, never know :)

I want to start adding CYA in my pool while filling it.... do you think that test would still be close to the correct numbers? I have ordered the refill kit but trying not to waste time on the chems... Also, do pool chems go bad, like CYA??

TIA!!:confused:
If you are dealing with a fresh fill, you can be confident the CYA is zero so there's no reason to even bother testing it. If it's a partial refill, I don't know. My CYA reagent has never gotten that old.

For pool chemicals... bleach will break down into high pH salt water. Muriatic Acid has a long shelf life, longer than the plastic jugs it comes in which get brittle, so handle those like a bomb. The powders should be usable as long as they stayed dry and the lid was on the container. Chlorine powders may have lost some chlorine strength; those fumes when you open the bucket had to come from something. CYA should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.