Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 5 Year old TFT-100 test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

5 Year old TFT-100 test kit

Just got another pool after drying out for 5 years and still have my TFT-100 test kit... should I chunk it and start over, or just order refills for everything... And I may need a slight bit of coaching on getting my chems right since I may be a tad rusty... LOL!!!!

Intex 20x52 above ground pool-
    8632 gallons
    1 man 4 woman Bullfrog Hot Tub
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pitguy3/se ... 763801706/
    ROLL TIDE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 5 Year old TFT-100 test kit

Right here: TFTestkits.net Too bad you missed the pre-season sale a while back.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Story of my life Richard... LOL!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ordered!!!

8632 gallons
    ROLL TIDE!

5. Back To Top    #5

I want to start adding CYA in my pool while filling it.... do you think that test would still be close to the correct numbers? I have ordered the refill kit but trying not to waste time on the chems... Also, do pool chems go bad, like CYA??

TIA!!
    8632 gallons
    ROLL TIDE!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

You can add the CYA now during fill and it will not hurt anything to check CYA after it is all dissolved... it might be close, never know
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pitguy3 View Post
    I want to start adding CYA in my pool while filling it.... do you think that test would still be close to the correct numbers? I have ordered the refill kit but trying not to waste time on the chems... Also, do pool chems go bad, like CYA??

TIA!!
    If you are dealing with a fresh fill, you can be confident the CYA is zero so there's no reason to even bother testing it. If it's a partial refill, I don't know. My CYA reagent has never gotten that old.

For pool chemicals... bleach will break down into high pH salt water. Muriatic Acid has a long shelf life, longer than the plastic jugs it comes in which get brittle, so handle those like a bomb. The powders should be usable as long as they stayed dry and the lid was on the container. Chlorine powders may have lost some chlorine strength; those fumes when you open the bucket had to come from something. CYA should be fine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Guys!! All I have that is old isnthe CYA as I hage been using the others in the HT...
    8632 gallons
    ROLL TIDE!