Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 week in

1. Back To Top    #1

1 week in

So this is my first pool. I'm one week in. Just wanted to share my numbers and express my happiness.

First off, the pool is so clear. It was 66 degrees but I jumped in and swam yesterday. As being a person who swims in a lot of pools, it was so clear, refreshing and not "chemically" at all. My eyes were open underwater and it felt perfect.

My CYA jumped up on me this week. The pool company dumped a bunch of dichlor in so maybe it finally registered. So today I upped my FC to 6 to account for the CYA of 50.

FC 4
    CC 0.5
    CH 300
    TA 130
    CYA 50
    pH 7.5

Today I dumped 86oz of 10% bleach in to get to 6.5 ppm. Sparkling clear.

Any thoughts on that 130 TA?

My heater is going and it's now up to 69. Let's bring on summer.

27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1 week in

HI John! Nice to hear you speak about your pool and water chemistry in a way that shows you really understand it. As for your TA .... let the pH be your judge. If your pH tends to rise really quick each week, then you may want to lower the TA via the acid/aeration method. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity If your pH doesn't move much, just leave the TA alone for now. Enjoy your sparkling pool.

- - - Updated - - -

John, one last thought on that TA ....... since you have a plaster pool, you will always want to be careful about scale. So enter your numbers into the Poolmath Calculator and look down at the "CSI" row. The TA, pH and CH effect your CSI - potential to build scale. So that may be the only other reason to consider lowering TA sooner. If you have any questions about the CSI level, please let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool looks great! Yes, bring on summer!

If your PH does rise then adding acid to lower PH will also lower your TA slowly over time. Do keep your CSI between -0.3 and +0.3 to avoid scaling.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok so I added all my numbers to the "now" column and my CSI is 0.05. Of note, that's the CSI in the now column. The target column for CSI has -0.1.

So I assume I'm safe for now.

I was messing around with the numbers in the calculator and if I let the TA go lower that pops me out of the safe CSI range.

On a sadder note, a cold front is here and the solar cover is back on.

27,000 gal concrete rectangle, built Oct '15, DE filter, Jandy PHPM 1.5 HP, Hayward HP21104T heat pump, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, that CSI is great. BOOO cold!!!!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA902 View Post
    First off, the pool is so clear. It was 66 degrees but I jumped in and swam yesterday. As being a person who swims in a lot of pools, it was so clear, refreshing and not "chemically" at all. My eyes were open underwater and it felt perfect.
    Ladies and Gentlemen... <drumroll> you have just witnessed the birth of another TFP pool snob!

You're ruined, John. You'll never want to swim in any other pool. When you choose vacation spots, don't even bother looking at the pool area when making choices. You won't get in anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

YAY, we love some nice pool water

congrats
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen... <drumroll> you have just witnessed the birth of another TFP pool snob!

You're ruined, John. You'll never want to swim in any other pool. When you choose vacation spots, don't even bother looking at the pool area when making choices. You won't get in anyway.
    Haha! Let's just hope I can keep this baby going.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA902 View Post
    Haha! Let's just hope I can keep this baby going.
    No worries! That is the easy part!
    TFP Moderator