Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What should I balance first in my case? PH or chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

What should I balance first in my case? PH or chlorine?

Hello to all!

I am having a hard time balancing my numbers.

My numbers:

FC 6.5

CC 0

PH 8

TA 80

CH 240

CYA 80

Temp 83

My target FC should be 9 because of my CYA. The problem I am having is that when I add liquid chlorine (from the pool store) the PH get high. I know this is to be expected. If I then add acid to lower the PH the TA will get close to 70.

Here is the question. In my case, as of today, should I add chlorine to raise it to 9 first? Or should I deal with the PH first and then the chlorine?

Thank you in advance!

Trevor

IMG_0188_1.jpg
    15K gallons, Plaster, Taylor K-2006C & TF-100, DE, non SWG, Hayward TriStar VS variable pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What should I balance first in my case? PH or chlorine?

Add acid now to lower pH as required to the mid 7s. TA can afford to come down a little too with that acid. Re-test in about 15-20 minutes later with pump running well to mix. Then go ahead and bump up the FC. Easy stuff. Nice pool!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Add acid now to lower pH as required to the mid 7s. TA can afford to come down a little too with that acid. Re-test in about 15-20 minutes later with pump running well to mix. Then go ahead and bump up the FC. Easy stuff. Nice pool!
    Thank you!

I thought it was going to be more difficult.
    15K gallons, Plaster, Taylor K-2006C & TF-100, DE, non SWG, Hayward TriStar VS variable pump

4. Back To Top    #4

HA! Not at TROUBLE FREE pool! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit