Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What did Jason mean?

1. Back To Top    #1

What did Jason mean?

Jason Lion wrote this sometime back:
    "Borates won't reduce the total amount of acid you need to use but they will dramatically reduce the frequency of acid additions".

Unfortunately, I went to public schools and don't understand that sentence.........
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What did Jason mean?

Borates stabilize pH rise hence the reduced frequency of adjustment. Borates stabilize pH, making it resistant to change so greater volumes of acid are needed to effect the same change as water without borates. Not as often but larger quantities when you do. Ten taps with a 2 lb hammer or one whack with a twenty pound sledge?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Unfortunately, I went to public schools and don't understand that sentence.........
    That comment just made my weekend. Bwaahaaahaa!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Borates stabilize pH rise hence the reduced frequency of adjustment. Borates stabilize pH, making it resistant to change so greater volumes of acid are needed to effect the same change as water without borates. Not as often but larger quantities when you do. Ten taps with a 2 lb hammer or one whack with a twenty pound sledge?
    I was as mystified as the OP, but your answer makes it as clear as my water. Very nice!
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX