Can't get chlorine to shock level

May 13, 2016
Campton, KY
Hey folks,
I'm new here. I open up my pool a few weeks ago and well, my pond looked cleaner. I dumped about 6 gallons of 12.5% liquid shock and the water turned cloudy. I ran the pump continuously for about 2 weeks adding about a gallon of shock a day. The pool stay cloudy. Disgusted with it and being extremely busy with work I neglected it. For a about 1 week. Luckily it didn't turn green again, especially with all the rain and cooler temps we've been having here in Kentucky.
I came across this site and realize I needed to SLAM the pool.
I tested the water last night and this is what I got:

FC 0
CC 0
pH 7.0
TA 70
CH 50
CYA <20

I added 2 gallons of 12.5% bleach last night and kept the pump running. This morning I back washed the filter and brushed/vacuumed the pool. FC was 8 and CC 1. I added 1 pound of 53% Ca hypochlorite. 4 hours later FC 7 and CC 1. Added 1 gallon of 10% bleach (I used up the few bottles of 12.5% bleach and hypochlorite that I had on hand and now only have the 10% bleach). Rechecked an hour later and the FC is 5 and CC is 1. Added another gallon of 10% bleach and now waiting to recheck.

Is this normal for the FC to go down that quick? It's a cloudy day with temps around 60. The pool is cloudy and can't see the bottom.

Hello doc and welcome to TFP! :wave: I suspect a big reason you are losing FC is because you have little to no CYA to protect it. You need to have at least 30 ppm FC to provide top-cover from the sun. Yes, algae will destroy FC, but eventually it will turn the other way around and the FC will hold better and longer if you remain vigilant and consistent.

So I would increase CYA to 30 ppm, and FC to 12 and do your very best to keep the FC at 12 with regular liquid bleach (generic is fine). Check the FC frequently the first couple days. Make sure to review the SLAM page each day as a reminder of things to do. If you have any questions, please let us know. Nice to have you with us.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Please start by reading two articles in Pool School.

"The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry"

read "SLAM" in Pool School

You will be SLAMing the pool but need to understand the chemistry first.

Ok, I know you said you SLAMmed the pool but you didn't.....you let your FC drift down below SLAM levels.

Once your homework is done, bring you CYA up to 30 PPM and buy lots of chlorine and you will be ready to SLAM.

Follow the articles step by step.

Hello doc and welcome to TFP! :wave: I suspect a big reason you are losing FC is because you have little to no CYA to protect it. You need to have at least 30 ppm FC to provide top-cover from the sun. Yes, algae will destroy FC, but eventually it will turn the other way around and the FC will hold better and longer if you remain vigilant and consistent.

So I would increase CYA to 30 ppm, and FC to 12 and do your very best to keep the FC at 12 with regular liquid bleach (generic is fine). Check the FC frequently the first couple days. Make sure to review the SLAM page each day as a reminder of things to do. If you have any questions, please let us know. Nice to have you with us.

If I add CYA do I need to wait a week before attempting to SLAM the pool? According to the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry I should hold off on back washing or cleaning the the filter.

Not at all. Use the Poolmath Calculator to determine exactly how much you want to add to reach your target of 30, then place the granule stabilizer in a sock to get it soaking. Squeeze the sock often. The sock prevents the (solid) granules from going to the filter and getting backwashed. :) Once dissolved, consider the CYA in your water adjusted to the new target. You can test it again in a few days to confirm.

Not at all. Use the Poolmath Calculator to determine exactly how much you want to add to reach your target of 30, then place the granule stabilizer in a sock to get it soaking. Squeeze the sock often. The sock prevents the (solid) granules from going to the filter and getting backwashed. :) Once dissolved, consider the CYA in your water adjusted to the new target. You can test it again in a few days to confirm.

I need 50 oz of CYA. When you say sock do you mean a skimmer sock and put it the skimmer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have put an athletic sock full of CYA in my skimmer. But lately I've tied it to a pool noodle and left it. It will dissolve more quickly in front of a return. If you squeeze the sock it will also dissolve more quickly.

For explanation....you don't want the granules of CYA to settle on the pool floor, nor do you want them to end up in the filter and back washed out. By putting it in a sock (yes one you wear and tying a knot or somehow sealing the top) only the DISSOLVED CYA is entering your pool water, not the larger granules...until they dissolve.

Yes. Just a regular white tube sock. Some people will use another clothing product. Anything is okay as long as it retains the stabilizer and prevents the granules from getting pulled into the filter. If you don't have a main drain and the skimmer is your only source of water to the pump, make sure water can still flow adequately so you don't starve water flow to the pump.

Ok folks. I have the CYA in the pool soaking in the socks. Luckily Walmart had some.
FC 4.5
CC 1.

Poolcalculator.com said add 1 gal 10%.
Went ahead and added. Figured it would be best to keep up with trying to get the chlorine at the right level of 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added the stabilizer to bring it up to 40. Adding chlorine to keep it about 16-18 but it seems like the FC is still being used up quickly. The CC is zero though. Im now able to see white powdery areas around the bottom of the pool. Still vacuuming and brushing very day along with back washing.
c54afce04c21c9497f6040fabcce5354.jpg

No improvement today. Still as cloudy as it was three days. I let my sample of water sit over night in the house to warm up. My cya read 50. Last night after sundown my FC level was 25 and CC 0. This morning my FC held at 25. I had to work today so this evening my FC had dropped to 14 and now a CC of 0.5. Loaded it back up with 2 gal of 10% bleach. To bring it it back to shock level plus a little extra. Brushed and vacuumed.
I have to admit I'm starting to feel a little defeated. I'm wondering if my sand filter isn't working well. It's going up about 2 psi after about 12 hours. Goes down after back washing.
Any thoughts or recommendations?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.