Can't get chlorine to shock level

Hang in there. I thought my sand filter wasn't doing a very good job this year when I was still cloudy after several days. I think I still need to deep clean my filter but it did eventually clear. Brush brush brush. I brushed so much that after a week I was having trouble making any sort of dust cloud brush up. And crystal clear after a week.

Second the above. Mine stayed cloudy for several days before turning the corner. Do not give up or else all your hard work is wasted!

One other thing I have read, and experienced first hand. Make sure you have removed the stairs, or you can guarantee that you can brush every square inch of your stairs. Even under the stairs! I had algae INSIDE MY BALLAST that I didn't know was there until I removed and disassembled the stairs. Also any light fixtures, inside and around edges of skimmer, basically any nook or cranny there could be hiding algae.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

56bc5e55212a3626e80de2c915f83fdb.jpg

Houston we have a problem. Came home after a 12 hour shift to fine my pump running dry and the skimmer is bone dry!!! The pool is leaking somewhere!!! Just when I was making progress. First thing I checked was the filter to make sure I hadn't left it in waste, but it's on filter. It just rained and I can't tell determine if the ground is wetter around the pool anywhere!

HALP!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going through this right now. By no means a pool expert, but some things I've learned.

Measure your water loss. I used distance to water line from bottom of skimmer but just use something you can easily see how much you are losing after say 12 hrs.

If you are only losing water while pump is running, then you know you have a leak somewhere in the plumbing. Inspect all places where gaskets connect items together for leaks. Splitters, filter housing, pump filter cap, hose connections, return connections, etc.

If you lose water regardless of pump activity it is probably in the Shell of the pool. That is where am right now. I am having to pay a local company to come and find my leak and fix it, but I did manage to find and repair one leak. I did this using a weed sprayer filled with water and red food coloring. Walk around the pool and feel for "squishy" spots. If water is leaking through to the sand floor it will feel soft under foot. Once you find some potential problem areas, squirt a little red dye right onto the spot. If it is a hole, current will immediately suck that dye out of the pool. It is really obvious when it happens.

I realize this is all really vague, but it very much is a detective process. If you aren't a meticulous type of person find a local pool company to come do it for you. I ended up paying 100 bucks AFTER spending countless hours and money replacing hardware, gaskets, and walking around the pool. Did fix a leak, but not out of the woods. Hope this helps somehow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the suggestions. Though I'm concerned I will have a hard time finding the leak if it's not in the plumbing. The water is still cloudy (i was on day 5 of SLAMming) and I can't see the bottom. Plus the pool is installed partially on a slope so all the water will be running down hill in one direction and not out.

I think I found my problem. The multiplier valve was stuck on waste even though the handle was set to filter. Noticed water in the backwash hose when I was refilling. I think I fixed it.

Since the pump and filter wasn't on, a lot of the fine particles settled to the bottom and I could see the water was clearer. I wonder if I should just keep refilling and leave the pump off. When it gets filled try to vacuum everything out. I can actually make out the pattern on the floor liner!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.