Pentair Minimax 400 control board fail. Do I need the control board?

My Minimax 400 heater will not start up. After going through the troubleshooting and repair I discovered a few things. I had a bad transformer, and replaced it, power light came on, but would not ignite. After going through the wiring diagram and checking the heater I determined that if I jumped the power to the first pin of the J 7 connecter it would bypass the thermostat board and should light. After testing it did make the heater light and all the LED's light. The thermostat control board seems to have failed.

I told you all that to bring up the question, I am using a Compool 3600 control system. The controller operates the heater by interpreting the 24v power supply to turn on or off the heat. The control board in the heater seems to be unnecessary. Looking at the wiring diagram all the safety circuits are still in place and I cannot see any reason to replace the board rather then just bypassing the board and letting the Compool control the heater as it is already doing.

Any thoughts about this? Is there anything that the control board does that is not indicated in the wiring diagram?

Thank You.

Well the control board does also control all of the safeties. I would test by disconnecting say the pressure switch and confirm that the heater will not fire it is not connected.

Is this Minimax NT?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.