Advice for High Stabilizer

May 10, 2016
Campobello, SC
Hey everyone. I recently converted to a salt water pool and my stabilizer is at 140 and both chlorine #'s are above 10. I'm still in the process of opening it and backwashing/vacuuming a decent bit so I'm not worried about draining just yet, but I don't have a bottom drain anymore either (the liner installer talked me into capping it). I can vacuum to waste though, which I guess would work for going below the skimmer if I close the 2nd drain.

So my question is how high I can leave the stabilizer/total chlorine and still be okay for comfortable swimming? Also, it's only in the 80's in my area; should I just give the sun some time to work before trying to drain large amounts of water? All my other numbers are perfect, by the way, and the pool is about 95% crystal clear with only a little cloudiness in the deepest areas.

hey there, with a SWG pool you want your CYA at 80, so put 140 in the now column in poolmath and 80 in the target and it will tell you how much to replace... about 1/3 or so... with that said, you may get away with 1/4 of your water being replaced and getting your CYA to 100, as you backwash and fill during this summer it will eventually get down to 80....

You will need to keep you FC no lower than 5 and target 8 but as your CYA goes down you can target a lower number.. look at the CYA chart in my sig below :)

hey there, with a SWG pool you want your CYA at 80, so put 140 in the now column in poolmath and 80 in the target and it will tell you how much to replace... about 1/3 or so... with that said, you may get away with 1/4 of your water being replaced and getting your CYA to 100, as you backwash and fill during this summer it will eventually get down to 80....

You will need to keep you FC no lower than 5 and target 8 but as your CYA goes down you can target a lower number.. look at the CYA chart in my sig below :)

I really appreciate that...I guess I posted at the perfect time to catch you online. I posted because I saw the chart earlier and wondered if I can cheat it a little higher, so you've definitely helped! The calculator said to replace 43% of the water to get to 80 or 29% for 100 though...so that definitely sucks. That's 10k gallons to get it where it needs to be!

You say both chlorine numbers are above 10? How are you testing? If your CC is high that would indicate you need to SLAM your pool, in which case you would definitely benefit from draining your water to lower CYA. CYA is not broken down by sunlight as chlorine is.

You say both chlorine numbers are above 10? How are you testing? If your CC is high that would indicate you need to SLAM your pool, in which case you would definitely benefit from draining your water to lower CYA. CYA is not broken down by sunlight as chlorine is.

I have the test strips from Lowes, which definitely are not accurate. But they showed both chlorine at 10+ and the stabilizer at 140-150. So I drained about 2 feet of water yesterday and let it refill all night (luckily I'm on a strong well). I turned the pump back on about an hour ago to let it circulate and I'm going to re-test it now. I'll edit this post as soon as I have some numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.