Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hi phosphate problem

1. Back To Top    #1

hi phosphate problem

Hi all

Any advise for a new member who is seeing phosphate levels of 1700+ Should this be treated? Dont know where this is coming from as pool kept auto-covered, free of leaves and debris, and vaccuumed regularly and hose water tests phosphate free. For the last two spring opennings had very high ammonia which I treated with liquid bleach (twenty gals) in order to get chlorine reading and get ammonia out. Then drained off 20 percent and refilled. Pool water is crystal clear, testing perfect except for phosphates. Worried that in hot summer months or when I am on vacation if chlorine would drop, algae would occur. Never had algae problem in previous yrs, but dont think I ever had this hi phosphates... so should I try Phosfree or not worry?
    CherylG....Geneva Illinois...16K inground, 2011 built, vinyl liner, auto cover, rectangular. Sta-rite System III Mod filter (cartridge), Sta-Rite Maxi E Pro Pump, new water cycler chlorine feeder, Pentair easy touch control panel. Taylor k2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hi phosphate problem

I say don't worry. To be honest, I've never had my water tested for phosphates.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Phosphates are not really the problem the pool industry makes them out to be and removing them can be a hassle unless you like sitting and baby-sitting your pool for two days straight. If your water is kept properly chlorinated as we teach here, then phosphates are not an issue. Please look around our site and visit Pool School to understand the TFPC Method of pool care.

As for where the phosphates came from, hard to pinpoint exactly but you excrete phosphates all the time from bather waste. Phosphates can be found in municipal water supplies and sometime at levels that are hard to detect with a standard pool store test kit. Many of the popular metal sequestrants and calcium scale removers will have phosphates in them. So, in the end, there's lots of sources of PO4.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

A TFP-managed pool is algae free, therefore phosphates are of little concern. I don't see it listed in your sig, but trust the readings you get from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. If you don't have one (shame, shame, shame), that's what you should buy next, not a $60 bottle of PhosFree. The proper test kit is your pool's best friend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry, I will add to my sig...I have a Taylor K2006 and a Lamotte ColorQ Computer kit I inherited from my neighbor. I was confused as to what to do because in the threads, it was posted to ignore 1000 or less phos. readings but treat over 1000.
    CherylG....Geneva Illinois...16K inground, 2011 built, vinyl liner, auto cover, rectangular. Sta-rite System III Mod filter (cartridge), Sta-Rite Maxi E Pro Pump, new water cycler chlorine feeder, Pentair easy touch control panel. Taylor k2006 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome!

If you use the search box for Phosphates, you'll find hundreds of threads.

This is one of the best. This link should take you straight to Post 10

That said... Hold off on any miracle cures until you're sure the pool is balanced and algae free; a week or two is plenty. Then if you want the extra insurance that Phos-free provides when you're on vacation, go spend the money. You've saved enough by taking control of your pool away from the store that you're entitled to splurge if it brings some peace of mind. But if you add Phos-free when you have some algae, your pool will turn milky.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!