Should I keep my main drain valve open??

bradj

Jan 19, 2016
TX
My pool has a 3HP Intelliflow VS pump. I have dedicated piping for the main drain and each skimmer. My pool builder said I should keep the main drain valve 100% open and the two skimmer valves about 50% open. When the pool runs in pool mode(1800 rpm) I get almost no visible draw into the skimmers. When the pool runs in clean mode(3000 rpm) I can see a little bit of draw coming from the skimmers but not enough to draw floating debris into them.

I can shutoff the main drain and get tons of suction into the skimmers to pull in debris. How important is it to keep the main drain open during routine cleaning cycles? My thought is that its better to continue to draw debris into the skimmers instead of letting it sink and wait for the robot to suck it up.

Thoughts on the best way to keep the valves set.

Thanks!

Just be careful brushing large debris towards the MD. It can get clogged easily and difficult to clear.

I wish my main drain was still working. Apparently the last time the skimmer was replaced they abandoned the main drain line that ran to the bottom of the skimmer, so now its 100% surface draw. If I had say 10% flow from the MD it would pull in the random small debris and keep the water better circulated in the deep end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.