lowering Ph

I am far from being an expert but when I looked at The Pool Calculator for a pool that is 25,000 gallons the results were
20 oz of 15.7% MA or 13 oz of 31.45% MA.

oops upon further review I only put in 2500 gallons.... sorry :hammer: back to being a silent lurker!

Aeration doesn't lower the TA, the muratic acid does. The MA lowers both the TA and the PH, then the aeration raises the PH back up to where you want it.

For example, if your TA was perfect, but your PH was a little low and you wanted to raise it, then all you need is aeration. :wink:

Can I ask why you want to lower the TA? It's not all that high. If you are experiencing the PH drifting up and having to make frequent additions of acid to reduce the PH, then yes, go ahead and begin the Lowering TA process. But if your PH is pretty stable, there is no need to do so. You could just add a bit of MA to lower the PH to 7.5 - 7.6 and be done with it. :wink:

I entered 25,000 gallons into Jason's Pool Calculator and came up with 3qts, 1 cup of 31.45% MA to lower the PH from 7.8 to 7.0. But again, is that really what you want to do?

If you want to bring the PH down to 7.5, then only add 3 cups of 31.45% Muratic Acid.

Hope this helps.

I get the same numbers as frustratedpoolmom.

I am interested in finding out how people make mistakes using my Pool Calculator. If you figure out what you entered incorrectly, I would love to know so I can help people avoid making the same mistake next time.

When calculating PH changes in my Pool Calculator, remember to set the current TA and Borate levels in the Now column.

yes poolmom the Ph keeps creeping up. it seems that iam putting MA in about every 3rd day.. creeps up to 7.8 and then i add MA to get down to 7.3 to 7.4.
Just thought if i lower the TA down a bit, and then add borates i could keep the PH more even... was just a thought that i had from all the reading i have done on the forum and the pool school..
yes i did know that the MA is what lowers the TA and the air is what raises the PH back up to what you want... I guess i did not word it like i should have :hammer:
thanks for all the help,,, pool looks great :-D
jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.