Waterway Champion Pump

wkusae31

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Lexington, KY
Hey Everyone. Boy, I'm having a doozie of a time getting my pool going. My Hayward pump went out so I replaced with Waterway Champion 1 HP. My Hayward pump was single speed and I believe this Waterway maybe also. However, the Waterway will run for about 10 minutes and then shut itself off. Is this normal?

When it's running, the water is being circulated in the pool and my pool has plenty of water. I'm a complete newbie so I have no clue if this self turn off feature is normal or if I've done something wrong (again).

Is it overheating, does the side of the motor feel hot? it may be some kind of safety measure, not sure..

You may have to call customer support on this one..

Unfortunately, it's not overheating. It runs for about 5 minutes and then shuts off for about 5 minutes. No humming noise, nothing. When it's on, the water comes out of the eyeballs and the skimmers are sucking in. Plenty of water in the pump basket too. I doubt this is typical behavior, but I'm too new to know better.

Both voltage are the same. No timer nor automation. The motor does feel pretty hot now.

I did have my plumber install it, but he's very good with electronics and this seemed pretty simple to do. I was not home when he did it.

I've called manufacturer but they're in CA so they're a few hours behind.

2016-05-16 09.50.27.jpg

Here's a layout of my pool plumbing:

2016-05-16 09.52.26.jpg

I spoke to manufacturer and it's my voltage setting. Apparently it comes as a default of 230 and I needed to set it at 115. So I've been running it at 230 this weekend. Yikes! The learning curve is quite steep with pools. I'm glad the motor still works.

Glad you got it figured out. The voltage setting was going to be my next question. Glad you didn't have to wait.

Running it on 115 volts when it's set for 230 isn't nearly as bad as running it on 230 when it's set for 115!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.