Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quad DE run without DE for a week

1. Back To Top    #1

Quad DE run without DE for a week

Hi,

My pool guy opened my pool and because the water level was below skimmers did not put DE in. I just figured this out after it's been running 24/7 for the last couple of days. Is this something that will have damaged my filter in any way, or can I just backwash, put in DE, and business as usual?
    28k IG vinyl lined pool with Pentair Quad DE 60 filter, 1.5 Hayward 2-speed Tristar pump. Pool at least 10 years old, new liner 2012.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Quad DE run without DE for a week

If the water was below the skimmers, how was water circulating?
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Main drain.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote from the Pentair Quad DE manual:

"Never operate filter in excess of three (3) minutes without use of diatomaceous earth. Diatomaceous earth
    is the substance that filters the water, the filter cloth merely supports the diatomaceous earth. Operating
    without diatomaceous earth will damage filter elements and shorten filtering cycles."

I would take the filter apart and inspect the filter elements for damage before putting DE in. You don't want to pump a bunch of DE into your pool.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.