Pool guy turned me down, need advice

May 11, 2016
Oklahoma city
A maintenance guy wasn't interested in maintaining my pool, so I've turned to this website and need some advice. I purchased the Taylor kit and ran the tests. Results are as follows: CYA = 100 (or more), FC=2, CC=.5, PH=7.5, TA=120. The pool was completed in August of 2014 and I have been maintaining it since. I thought the salt was the only thing I needed to be concerned with, but then had my water tested and the ph was high. I've had to add muratic acid quite a bit over the last year to get the ph within range. The water looks pretty clear, but there is a definite chemical smell that has led me to believe something isn't right. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome!

To get a better handle on the CYA level, you can do a 50% dilution and then test again. What you do is collect some water from your pool, add in an equal amount of tap water. Use that as the pool water for the CYA test. Then just double the number. So if after you test with the diluted water, you get 70, then your actual number is 140.

Well for sure I would do a partial drain to get the CYA level down.

I would do a 50/50 dilution and retest the CYA as the test vial only goes to 100, it could be higher.

PH creeping up is normal with an SWG. As you add acid, the TA drops too, and eventually the creeping up should slow down once the TA is closer to 70-80. But this assumes no water replacement.

Figure out the CYA issue before you do any other chemistry adjusting.

- - - Updated - - -

Jynx :)

Welcome to the forum!

You'll do better on your own anyway. I'm curious why he turned you down, but no matter. If you have high TA and fill water you'll always have to fight both with acid additions. How much depends on how high, but if they aren't too bad, you may do much less adding once you get the pool TA down in the 60 range. Your SWG will do better there as well. What is your pool and incoming Calcium level?

If I may, please let me suggest doing a lot f reading in Pool School. Check out the ABCs first, and dig into the rest as you can digest it. Ask questions if you need too, we are always here to help. It's a guess but if the chemical smell you mention could be Combined Chlorine, but please describe what it smells like.

so I retested the CYA diluting half with tap water and it still looks like it's about 100. The pool guy didn't want to maintain our pool because I have 2 young boys and a big pecan tree that is close to it. I'm thinking the smell is chlorine related. Last summer our bathing suits were also degrading/ getting discolored.

Will the CYA come down over time? Should I just try to lower the TA at this point? I have the SWG at 60% ouput as well.

I have to wonder how the CYA got so high with an SWG pool, have you been manually adding stabilized chlorine products (dichlor or trichlor) or was too much stabilizer added to the pool at initial start up?

Two young boys and a tree? Lol, he should see mine. A black lab that swims non stop, a torn up yard with grass and dirt, palm trees everywhere. And yet I still keep a clean pool with only one or two checks a week. Sounds like your guy didn't want to put in any effort at all.

No worries, just take care of it yourself. Start with a 50% drain and refill and see how your CYA level pans out. After that, it will be a piece of cake.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok, so I drained half the pool and re-filled. I added salt to get the ppm up to 3,400 which is what is recommended for my SWG. I added 3- 1lb bags of dichlor "shock", and some muratic acid to get the ph down to 7.5. I waited a few days and re-tested the water and have the following results:

CYA= 40
FC = 5.5
CC = .5
PH=8.0
TA=90
CH=130

Should I add more dichlor 1lb bags of shock aka stabilizer to raise the CYA to 70? Should I lower the percentage of my SWG to reduce the FC, or reduce the pump time? Just trying to figure out where to go from here.

Every time you add dichlor you are increasing your CYA. If you need more FC than your SWG is producing just use bleach, using the calculator above.
I see you have a SWG and are raising CYA on purpose.

My pool is not SWG, but my hot tub is. Creeping PH has been the one thing that has plagued me since I got it. I discovered that keeping my TA around 60 keeps my PH pretty stable. That took a lot of testing and adjusting to figure out the magic number for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.