Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leak from pump filter basket lid

1. Back To Top    #1

Teutpolis, IL

leak from pump filter basket lid

We noticed our pump basket/filter is leaking from the lid when the pump is not running. If the pump is running there is no leak. The lid is on tight. This thing fits so tight I can't ever remove it and my husband has a hard time removing it when he tries..... so it doesn't get emptied/opened much. There doesn't appear to any cracks in the lid. Any ideas on why it would be leaking or how to fix?
    of course it is hard to mess with since water continuously is running into it to get a good look. The area around my pool is currently a mud pit so we have the pump running 24x7 to avoid adding to the mess. If it wasn't for the mud due to too much rain I would let it leak since the pool is full and we keep getting rain but I don't want the leak all summer.
    Not a huge leak but definitely can tell it is leaking from where lid and container meet but only when pump is off.

Thanks so much
    18x33x4 oval Above ground pool- 15300 gallons, sand filter, full sun no shade
    tft-100 test kit
    Central Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: leak from pump filter basket lid

Get some silicone lube, (Magic Lube) is one brand and lube up the o-ring in the lid. If you don't see one, then its probably missing and that explains the leak? Sometimes it just needs a good lube to stop the drips.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: leak from pump filter basket lid

that is a suction side leak but its an easy one, usually just need to lube the O-ring in the top.. also, if you use a rubber hammer (easily, your not hammering nails ) to remove and install...

General Tech Intl 2258622 Rubber Mallet 8 Oz - -
    Super Lube 21030 Synthetic Grease (NLGI 2), 3 oz Tube: Science Lab Cleaning Supplies: Industrial Scientific
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **