Reason to Raise Alkalinity & How?

You should post a full set of numbers and tell us what kind of pool you have. Alkalinity helps hold your PH stable. You raise it with baking soda. It is quite possible that your current level is fine if you are using bleach for chlorine. You need it higher when using trichlor, which the pool stores tend to assume, as trichlor is constntly lowering the PH.

I am in a the middle of a 24 hour EMS shift right now. When I get off this evening I will run complete numbers & get them posted.

I have not been using bleach yet this year. I have been using cal hypo tablets since they are easier for me to handle rather than all the jugs. I am sure I will be switching over soon as I seem to be having trouble finding the cal tablets this year.

Here are my latest numbers...

chlorine...3.5 (only did the quick test
pH...7.3
Calcium...160
Alk...50
phosphates...1500+ (darker than the darkest blue on the comparator)
CYA...40

If I am not mistaken, I need baking soda to bring up the alkalinity...How much?

Any other suggestions? The pool looks good other than quite a bit of stuff settling to the bottom of the pool. It looks almost like dark sand but clouds up when hit with the brush.

Just a word of caution - if you are testing with strips instead of a drop kit, be very cautious about believing the TA on certain brands of test strips.

I use test strips on occasion - as a quick check when I've overslept and am hurrying like a mad to get to work, and even sometimes when I become a little lazy and I know my pool is in balance, I'll use strips during the week and drops on the weekend.

Well, I picked up some AquaCheck strips that always show my TA as almost nil and I basically always have a TA of 100 and I have to work to keep it that low. My fill water has a high TA.

I have another brand that work just fine, but beware.

You can use the pool calculator, see my signature, to figure out how much baking soad you need. You will need to know the volume of your pool. The pool calculator also has a section at the bottom to help you figure that out if you don't know already.

Definately NOT using strips...those numbers were from the pool store since it was pouring down rain when I got home yesterday evening. I did run out there & add a little Borax to raise pH a hair.

This morning using Bens test kit, I got...
FC...1.5 (need a little chlorine)
CC...0
Alk...40
Calc...130
CYA...45
pH...about 7.4 (wish there was a more accurate way to do pH)

I will check the calculator & get the baking soda in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.