Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool tile grout

1. Back To Top    #1

Pembroke Pines FL

pool tile grout

I'm doing an acid wash on my pool and my question is, is there a specific type of grout I should use to refill existing tile gaps? or regular non sanded grout will work. Can someone help?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: pool tile grout

Epoxy-based tile grouts are a better choice for pool environments as they will hold up better over time to chemical degradation. The problem is, in my opinion, making sure the grout you choose to fill gaps is a similar color to what you have or else you'll definitely see the patches. Also, putting new grout on old grout is always fraught with difficulty...
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: pool tile grout

How wide is the current grout? That's important.

Non-sanded grout is not is caulk. Sanded grout is caulk with sand in it.

Most importantly, you will not get a really good color match regardless of which one you use. In fact, you will not get a completely matched grout at all.

The best solution is to grind out the grout to a corner at each end. Where the grout "turns the corner" you can most always get a good appearance.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School