Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ideal pool temp?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ideal pool temp?

Morning TFPers.

Didn't know where else to post this besides in Everything Else.

During the in-season, what temp do you keep your water?

Last season, we got our solar cover/blanket, and with the use of solar, our pool got up to the 90s; perhaps, 93-94 at a high. That was around the same time I had my only algae bloom (watch the the self-jinx), which we got on right away. But, after that, I think I was keeping the pool in the 90s b/w 90-92. Yes, it was warmer, but my young kids liked it and made it comfortable for them as they learn to swim. This summer however, I think I will aim for 86-88 though. When the pool was in the 90s, I definitely had to stay on top of the chemicals, but of course I do/would at any temp.

I was going to make a poll and put options for temp intervals, but I don't see the option to make a poll any longer. I'll have to look more in to this.
    19k gal IG plaster, built '70s, probably resurfaced in '80s-'90s; Blue Haven Hayward filter C4520BHMB (Filbur FC-1275 cartridges); Hayward MaxFlo sp2302 VSP 1.5hp; 6 solar panels 288. sq. ft. total (142"x47.5" ea.) on 1 story hm; Pentair Compool LX220 Solar Controller; FlowVis flow meter; Maytronics Dolphin S200; AG 300 gal AquaTerra spa; TF-100 & Speedstir; gone: Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP 1 speed; Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Ideal pool temp?

I am trying to get my temps in the 85 degree range, my wife would also like it in the high 80's
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Ideal pool temp for comfort is total personal preference. I live in hot humid SC and I don't like my pool to get in the 90's. Once it hits about 88-89, I hook up the pool cooler to run at night. For some reason I'm stuck with about 86 being my sweet spot.

I don't know how temperature really affects chances of algea outbreak. Shouldn't if chemistry is correct I would think.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Warmer water temps burn chlorine quicker. Thus, that could lead to an algae outbreak if chlorine is not maintained. Therefore, whether direct or indirect, that infers a relationship b/w water temp and potential for algae. But, let's please not digress as that was not my topic.

Of course it is personal preference, which I thought was obvious from asking "what temp do YOU keep your water?" vs. "what is the recommended water temp?"
    19k gal IG plaster, built '70s, probably resurfaced in '80s-'90s; Blue Haven Hayward filter C4520BHMB (Filbur FC-1275 cartridges); Hayward MaxFlo sp2302 VSP 1.5hp; 6 solar panels 288. sq. ft. total (142"x47.5" ea.) on 1 story hm; Pentair Compool LX220 Solar Controller; FlowVis flow meter; Maytronics Dolphin S200; AG 300 gal AquaTerra spa; TF-100 & Speedstir; gone: Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP 1 speed; Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

We like 80-85 when temps are in the 80s to low 90s. Once we hit upper 90s to 100s we like 88 to 92. 93 is the magic number that becomes too warm. We set the solar controller to 93 during summer. I think for us it seems to be a temperature differential between air and water. Too much difference and the water feels too cold.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

82 degrees is perfect for me'

2008 23K IG Liner, Pentair intellipump vf, 48DE filter, Heatpump, SWC, aquabot turbo T, K2006 Testkit

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

85-88.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

As I get older I find I like the pool warmer and warmer, when I was a teenager I was perfectly happy in 76-78 degree water, and over the years the ideal temperature seems to go up about 1 degree every 5 years or so.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

82 is about all we can get ours to. 85 is the max for me, I like to feel cooled off a bit, so a little less than the air temp is good. Unless it's under 78, ha ha.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Our granddaughter got in last night and today at 70. I was 10 feet back from the water incase she splashed me. I like mine in the mid to high 80s
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

Pre-heater, 80-82 would be the peak of the season for us. We are adding a heater just to get us up to 78-80 earlier and later into the year, not to get us heated up before use.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.