Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiping Tip of Bottle After Each Drop on TA Test

1. Back To Top    #1

Atlanta, GA

Wiping Tip of Bottle After Each Drop on TA Test

I just got the TF-100 testing kit. When testing Alkalinity is says to "add R-0009 one drop at a time, swirling between each drop. Wipe the tip of the bottle after every drop with a damp cloth."

I am curious why this is done as it is not specified in any other test and how important it is to do?

It's pretty annoying when you are trying to add a drop and swirl after each drop.

I know...first world problems. But it's bugging me so I thought I would ask.

14.5'x32' irregular shape gunite pool; 12,000 gal; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter; Dolphin Triton Plus robot; 16mm Clear Solar Cover

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Wiping Tip of Bottle After Each Drop on TA Test

Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. This is usually only a problem for the first couple tests, when the bottle is new. Don't ask me why. If ever you see your TA jump from where you think it should be, go back to the wiping.

As an aside, a speedstir does the swirling for you, so wiping the tip would be no hardship at all. Ask for one for Father's Day or something.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

when you first receive your kit, for some reason the R-0009 has some static electricity going on and if not wiped off it can give you a false high reading, after a few weeks it should be good to not wipe the tip.. if you look really close you can see the drop is just slightly smaller than other drops..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4
    Waxahachie, TX (south of Dallas)

I was having so much trouble with the static buildup on my bottle giving me quick, small drops that I started wiping the whole top half of the bottle with a wet paper towel between drops. Otherwise, by just wiping the tip I could tell the drops were smaller than they should be, but for the life of me, I couldn't get them to change by just wiping the tip. I'm just glad I found a way to do the test more accurately now, so the wiping doesn't bother me. But I do have the speedstir, so that helps.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!