Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Shaft Leak Can I Remove Pump Without Draining

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Shaft Leak Can I Remove Pump Without Draining

Hello Everyone,
    It looks like I have a pump shaft leak, I can see it flowing just a bit when the pump is running. If I close the knob by the pump basket and close the filter, is it then possible to remove the pump without having to drain everything or will water still try to drain from the hose that connects the filter to the pump? I have a typical above ground setup with a sand filter, I'm just not positive how the "flow" works between filter and pump. I know that closing the knob by the pump basket it won't flow from there, but didn't know if closing the filter will keep water from flowing out of the hose that is connected to the pump.

Also, is it a tough job to fix a shaft leak or should I take the pump to the pool store?

Thanks every one!
    24' Round AGP, 13,500 Gallons. 19" Ecco Sand Filter, 1.5 HP ecco pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Shaft Leak Can I Remove Pump Without Draining

Is there a "closed" position on the valve at the top of the filter? That should block everything.

If you're unsure of your abilities, kill the power, disconnect the electric, and remove the four or six bolts holding the motor plate to the pump housing and take the whole works to the pool store. They're used to dealing with stuck impeller bolts and such and have lots of experience (I hope) replacing seals. They'll replace what needs replacing and send you home with a new gasket to connect the plate to the pump. Reconnect the electricity, open the valves, and start the thing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard, there is a "closed" position on the pump. Sounds like taking the pump with them is the way to go. What to you mean by a new gasket to connect the plate to the pump? The pump is connected to the pump basket with a twist collar and an O ring and is attached to the plastic pad that the filter is on with 4 plastic bolt things.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by LookBehindYou View Post
    Thanks Richard, there is a "closed" position on the pump. Sounds like taking the pump with them is the way to go. What to you mean by a new gasket to connect the plate to the pump? The pump is connected to the pump basket with a twist collar and an O ring and is attached to the plastic pad that the filter is on with 4 plastic bolt things.
    Just going by my experience. My motor is attached to a plate than is then attached to the pump and there's a gasket between the two. Yours uses an O-ring instead, I guess. The key is to leave the pump housing in place so you don't have to mess with the pipes at all. The pool store should sell you any seals, gaskets, or O-rings that need to be replaced before reassembly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice! Took the pump to the pool store and got it fixed up and good to go!