Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Opening - Swamp Content

1. Back To Top    #1

First Opening - Swamp Content

So we bought a house with our first pool last August. I did some research, discovered this site and had the TF-100/speed stir, etc. in hand before we even moved in. Unfortunately, with the move and unpacking, etc., I decided to continue to use the puck feeder and just enjoy the pool and keep the PH in balance. At one point I tested cya at 80 and by the end of last season the filter required constant cleaning. In hindsight I was probably on the verge of an algae outbreak.

Fast forward to the other day and I opened the pool to this.

I balanced the PH, tested cya at 40 (decreased substantially over the winter) and started the SLAM.

Here is a picture of the following morning. I can now see the bottom of the pool, including a large frog who has taken up residence, and I am going to vacuum and brush this afternoon.

Unfortunately, my filter pressure is on the rise so I have ordered a new one. I may need to do an acid wash before it gets here as spraying the current one off with the hose is not cutting it. Also, I sprayed all of the algae off the mesh cover. Should I be using anything else to clean it before I put it away?

I will update this post to document my progress.

Steve
    10,627 gallon, vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Star Clear 1200 Cartridge, Hayward H250FDP Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: First Opening - Swamp Content

Welcome to TFP

You got a swamp going there

we have another person almost in the same situation going now.. Your filter, while a little bigger at 120 sq ft is going to be the hardest part of your SLAM.. because it is so small you're going to be cleaning it constantly, watch your pressure and when it raises 25% you need to clean it, it may only last 30 minutes to an hour...

The cover can be sprayed with a bleach water combo and scrubbed, then let dry before putting up for the summer
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

HI! Did you name your froggy friend? I hope he accepts the eviction notice!

Casey has you covered on your questions.

I would love to see more pics of your pool AND area. That looks so neat with those big rocks! I would have to do some rock climbing! Did you buy for the house or the pool?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks you both for the input. Froggy is running out of hiding places.

Here is another picture of the setup

Previous owner used to jump off the rocks into the pool. If i attempt that it will be when my kids are not watching
    10,627 gallon, vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Star Clear 1200 Cartridge, Hayward H250FDP Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

Those are some great "before" pictures. Clear that thing right and post lots of pictures along the way and you could end up in Inspirational Links
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

So it's an overcast day today for the most part. Water is still cloudy, but I feel like I am making some great progress from where I was on Friday.

7. Back To Top    #7

That's starting to look good. Keep up the good work!
    In Ground 14 x 28 vinyl liner; 11,600 gallons; Hayward EcoStar VSP; SWCG - Hayward T Cell 15.

8. Back To Top    #8

The mechanicals are well hidden too!
    20x35 in-ground oval. Wet Edge Luna Quartz finish. Hayes Super Pump with AO Smith V-Green 165 VS motor. Polaris 380. Enersol solar heating with automatic controller. Automated chlorination with Stenner pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Today's progress.

I seem to be losing water unfortunately and I don't think it's from evaporation. No leaks at the equipment pad and the pools was filled 3/4 of the way up the skimmer when I opened it, so should not be the liner. I looked for possible water/leaks in the yard, but I have a long run as all of the equipment is on the side of the house. Also, not exactly sure where the pipes run underground. Guess I will need to start plugging lines to test after I am done with the slam.

10. Back To Top    #10

That is such a pretty area! WOW! Did you buy the house or the pool and area?

Now you and I both KNOW the kids WILL try it the min your back it turned! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    That is such a pretty area! WOW! Did you buy the house or the pool and area?

Now you and I both KNOW the kids WILL try it the min your back it turned! LOL

Kim
    Thanks! We absolutely love it. We bought for the house and cult a sac location. The pool/landscaping was a bonus, but we always wanted one. True about the kids, but I am not going to give them any ideas...

12. Back To Top    #12

My guess is another day or two and I will do the overnight/cc test. I tested cc today and it was between .5 and 1.0. I think I am getting there...

I also think I found my leak which is just at the waterfall. I can easily fix it once I am done with the SLAM and can turn the filter off for a bit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Test CC at zero twice today. Going to perform the overnight chlorine loss test and hopefully I will be good to go...
    The sun was going down when these pic's were taken, but the water looks clear to me.

14. Back To Top    #14

lost 1.5ppm overnight.....soo close

15. Back To Top    #15

Is it the shadows or is your water a little cloudy? I don't want you to stop too soon.

Kim

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Is it the shadows or is your water a little cloudy? I don't want you to stop too soon.

Kim
    Shadows, as the sun was coming down. Will try to get a picture with full sun if the weather cooperates.

17. Back To Top    #17

Cloudy all day. These are best shots I could get. Hoping to pass the overnight test and give the pump a break....

18. Back To Top    #18

That's clearer than some hotel pools I've seen! Doing good!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

19. Back To Top    #19

Zero chlorine loss overnight....I think that's a wrap! Thanks for the help everyone. It's almost swim time...kids will be excited...

20. Back To Top    #20

Love it! Have the kids been in yet???

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast