Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach question

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach question

I have access to very cheap 5.25% bleach. It says on the bottles that it is a disinfectant, sanitizer, germicide, deodorizer. Not sure if this is safe to use in my pool or if it has other ingredients present that aren't going to work in pool. My pool construction is beginning in a few weeks and just doing my homework here on Tfp which is why I don't have my info loaded. I will try to include pic of bleach bottles but can't find where to insert a pic from my phone. Thank you for any help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach question

If it doesn't list the ingredients specifically on the side of the label, I don't use it. The primary ingredient. sodium hypochlorite, should be clearly marked. Even the generic 8.25% bleaches I use say it.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

No outdoor, splashless, scented stuff!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you guys very much for the responses! It list active ingredient as Sodium Hypochlorite 5.25%
    Other Ingredients 94.75%
    It is labeled as First Mark Bleach with first mark being the manufacturer. Lists Germacide, disinfectant, sanitizer, deodorizer, I believe just cause that's the uses of bleach. Doesn't say anything about scented or outdoor bleach. It is sold to restraunts by commercial sales companies. Will see if I can add pic from my computer, mobile site doesn't seem to let me.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, it looks like it may be fine. Bleach is one of those products that is readily available at a lot of places, so if you have a Wal-Mart or something I know you can get more there. FYI - I can get bleach at Wal-Mart (Great Value) for $2.94 a gallon, and it's stronger (8.25%). So make sure you're getting a good value for your money.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Depends on how cheap it is. I've used 5.25% before because it is on sale for a good price and I know it moves off the shelves fast. However, I've also bought 8.25% when it is on sale as well. Great link I got from this website: Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator
    ~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks again for the responses! Found this bleach through Roma Food Services at $7.99 for 6 x1gallon jugs. Thanks for link to the price calculator, that's pretty slick

8. Back To Top    #8

Make sure your new found bleach is as strong as it lists (5.25%). Test your FC first. Use PoolMath to tell you how much to add to raise your FC by 2 and add that amount. Then wait while it is mixed up by the pump and retest. Did it raise your FC by 2ppm? Then you can decide if its a good bargain.

Keep in mind the weaker the bleach, the more jugs you have to haul.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

As an aside, check the date codes on any bleach or chlorine you buy. In your picture above it shows a date code of 15341 - 341st day of 2015. So it was made in early December of last year. It's presently over 5 months old and may have lost a lot of its listed potency.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

10. Back To Top    #10

I noticed yesterday that one of the local WalMart stores is carrying 10% liquid chlorine (in the pool section) for $2.50, which is a great price according to the calculator. I've never used it though.

~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit