Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction vs Robot

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction vs Robot

Quick question.

Im having a hard time with my Polaris 280. It wont get to one end and lately been getting tangles up a lot. My pool has a tanning ledge (150 sq ft) and the rest of is approx 600 sq ft. The 280 doesnt like the tanning ledge and stays away from the shallow section on the one side of the ledge.

I borrowed my friends polaris 9300 ( I think that was the number) a few times and it seemed to clean the whole pool.

Anyone have any recommendations before I purchase one or any ideas how to get the 280 to clean the other side?

ALso any recommedations of a robot

Thanks in advance.
    Chris
    27,000 Gallon Inground Gunite Pool with 150 sq ft tanning ledge. Jandy ProFlo pump, Jandy 400K LXi NG heater, Aqualink PDA w/ iAqualink. Polaris 280 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction vs Robot

Robots beat suction cleaners hands down. I'm biased and partial to the Maytronics Dolphins. M-500, 400, and Oasis Z5 would be my top three suggestions. Get one, and you'll never look back.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

What he said, but I prefer Aqaubot over Dolphin after having owned both as the street price on replacement treads, brushes, etc are much lower
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. Looks like Ill be researching those.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
    Chris
    27,000 Gallon Inground Gunite Pool with 150 sq ft tanning ledge. Jandy ProFlo pump, Jandy 400K LXi NG heater, Aqualink PDA w/ iAqualink. Polaris 280 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

That's so funny as I am the opposite. My dolphin does a great job but I am so tired of taking it in and out and cleaning the bag inside. I want something that stays in the pool and I only take it out when using the pool so I am looking for a good side suction unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Hayward Aqua Rite Salt pool
    Dolphin cleaner/PoolCleaner
    Pentair Triton II filter
    Heater
    approx. 24000 gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by okiediver View Post
    That's so funny as I am the opposite. My dolphin does a great job but I am so tired of taking it in and out and cleaning the bag inside. I want something that stays in the pool and I only take it out when using the pool so I am looking for a good side suction unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I agree with you about the bag hassles, but basing your experience on you dolphin is like saying a new computer is so much faster than a Pentium 3 from 2000. Newer technology has made robots lighter and much easier to use. My s300, for example, weighs only 16 pounds and has a top-loading basket that rinses clean in about 30 seconds.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Suction cleaners remove debris off the bottom of the pool and that's about it. Most robots on the other hand remove the debris and scrub the surfaces clean including the tile at the waterline.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

I love my Hayward navigator. Yes it sucks, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

It depend on your debris load. If you have lots of junk, then emptying a bag is a benefit. If you have a light load and a cartridge filter like I do, it's not a headache for me.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, I just bought a poolcleaner. I love it so far.....I leave it in the pool and it works for me all day. The dolphin went to the garage lol.
    Hayward Aqua Rite Salt pool
    Dolphin cleaner/PoolCleaner
    Pentair Triton II filter
    Heater
    approx. 24000 gallons