How risky is it to GC your pool construction?

Auro M

May 14, 2016
Terrell
Hi

I am new to this forum.I was referred to this forum by an engineer whose client posted pictures of pool she built. I am looking to build a 35x16 play pool with grotto in the DFW area and have contacted a few PBs - they all seem to be pretty pricey. I am now thinking hiring the subs directly - is that risky? I have a full time job.

Would you be the one researching the water table, performing the concrete slump tests, verifying correct rebar ties, permits/inspections, insuring the work with a builders risk policy so your homeowners insurance company doesn't drop you/not cover any accidents, and lastly, be figuring out what equipment is right for your install? It is up to you, but IF you decide to take this on, really study the threads about people who built their own. There is at least one that did nearly everything for their 40,000 gallon concrete with vinyl pool!

Welcome to TFP :)

You become the pool company, you are in charge of everything... You tell them exactly what and how you want something, if it is wrong, you have to fix it, if it does not pass inspection you have to find out where you went wrong.. you still get some warranty from some of the sub's but not much, some 90 days some 1 year depending on what it is... you can save money doing it this way but most come out the same because of more "neat" stuff and better equipment..

It is time consuming, but you learn everything about a pool :)

How flexible is your job? Will you be able to be at the pool when big things happen such as digging, rebar, plumbing, electric, plaster, etc.??

It is the busy time for pools. If you can wait to start the build after summer you may get a better deal with a PB. I also worry about you being able to find any GOOD sub to work on your pool as they are tied up with the PB that uses them all of the time so do not have time for a single use person. Just some things to think about.

Kim:cat;