Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Loosing Water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Loosing Water?

Just to set the scene.

We have very low (deep) jets (I have to lie on the deck and I can JUST reach them).
    We have a basic winter cover (tarp).

To avoid draining practically 1/3 of the pool at closing, I used 'duck plugs' after getting some good feedback about them in a previous post. This allowed me to bring th water down to just below the skimmer, which was still a good ways above the Jets.

I was just draining the winter water off the cover in preparation for opening and I noticed that the actual pool water level had dropped significantly (maybe 8 inches). It's not just above my returns.

So what does this mean? Is it normal? Or do I have a leak somewhere? It's possible my duck plugs failed and some water got in, but the link eanhad antifreeze in them just in case, and wouldn't account for that much loss.

So what does that leave? A leak? How do I go about checking for a leak?

Thanks.

18x36 extended octogon IG Vinyl, ~ 110,000L (~29,000 gal)
    Jacuzzi FM24 Sand Filter, Hayward SuperPumpII 1hp
    Pentair Intellichlor SWG - IC-40
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Loosing Water?

the answer is it depends was the cover completely covering the pool, so no water was able to get out or in? the good thing about vinyl leaks is they stop going down at the leak if there is one... so check around the line where your water level is and see if you can find it... you can try to add and inch and see if it goes back down..

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Loosing Water?

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    the answer is it depends was the cover completely covering the pool, so no water was able to get out or in? the good thing about vinyl leaks is they stop going down at the leak if there is one... so check around the line where your water level is and see if you can find it... you can try to add and inch and see if it goes back down..

I hope this helps
    Thanks. I'd say it's possible water may have gotten in under the cover, but I can't see how it'd get out, you move, gravity and all. I hadn't thought about it being the liner, I was more worried about the plumbing. We're considering resurfacing the concrete so I don't want to tar it up to fix a leak.

18x36 extended octogon IG Vinyl, ~ 110,000L (~29,000 gal)
    Jacuzzi FM24 Sand Filter, Hayward SuperPumpII 1hp
    Pentair Intellichlor SWG - IC-40
    TF-100 Test Kit