Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using sand filter with NO sand

1. Back To Top    #1
    Mt. Airy, MD

Using sand filter with NO sand

Hello all, here's the deal. I have a 26" Pentair Meteor sand filter that's about 20 years old. The sand is original and I've never deep cleaned it. Today, I removed the multiport valve (top mount) and did a deep clean. Long story short, there's was so much gunk in the sand that it would have taken hours for the water to run clean. After an hour, I gave up and decided to just replace the sand. I used a shop vac and got all the sand out. I removed the laterals for inspection and they need to be replaced. The little slots in all the laterals are caked with sand and a few were cracked. So I just ordered new laterals which won't be here until middle-late next week.

You can see my issue now. My water will be sitting stagnant for days. My question is, can I reinstall the multiport valve with the filter body completely empty and just use the recirculate function? This would be better than nothing. Other wise I will be adding chlorine and brushing a lot I suppose.

Current levels:

35,000 gal in ground vinyl
    PH- 7.5
    TA- 110
    CH- 100
    Borates- 50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    35,000 gallon in ground vinyl liner
    Pentair Meteor sand filter
    Hayward 1.5hp super pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Using sand filter with NO sand

it won't filter but it will work just fine
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

4. Back To Top    #4
    Yakima, Washington

Great question! Kuos to you for asking and getting it on Recirculate to keep the pool moving!
    16' x 39' Oval AG Vinyl, 16-17k, Pentair Sand Dollar sand filter, single return, doughboy powerline, stand alone FAS-DPD test, hth ph & oto. New to Yakima, WA and sand filters.