Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black Algae Battle

1. Back To Top    #1

McKinney, TX

Black Algae Battle

I've been battling a black algae problem for about 2 weeks so wanted to get some advice and see if I'm on the right track. I started off with a SLAM and have been running the pump nonstop (other than to clean the filter). Brushing from out of the water 2 or 3 times a day with wire brush. Spots on steps near the surface are gone but still have a good amount in the deep end. I thinking I need to take a swim to brush those deeper spots.

FC = 15
    CC = 0
    CYA = 40
    CH = 150
    TA = 180
    10,156 IG pebblesheen pool, Jandy Stealth 2 HP, Jandy CL 340 Cartridge,
    Polaris 380 with Polaris Halcyon pump, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Black Algae Battle

Welcome to TFP

Your numbers look great... they are exactly where they should be... so from what your saying your water is clear because you can see the algae in the deep end, correct... Up to SLAM levels you can and it is safe to get into the water, is there no way to brush those spots with your brush? Keeping your FC at SLAM level with almost nothing of the algae left should be pretty easy...

Are you sure they are not metal stains or something else, just asking to see
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

A pic would be good. But yes, you have to brush to knock of the outer shell/head which is resistant to chlorine. Brushing is key...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

4. Back To Top    #4

Mount Dora, Fl

When I have that issue I find that a wire brush is ineffective at getting off the spots but I put a pressure wand on my hose and the water pressure does a great job of removing the spots.

5. Back To Top    #5

I do the same, is a quick fix, but I use snorkel and googles to see underwater, when the pressure washer is on you can't see the bottom from the top of the pool.