Pool Rehab Bid Opinions

We have received a bid from one company that we really trusted, but upon looking at the numbers feel like we are being taken. Can you look at the bid and tell us what you think??

* Interior Pool Renovation $21,400
+Resurface pool interior with Pebble Tec finish [$16,400]
- Drain Pool
- Prep Pool by cutting around lights, inlets and under tile
- Wash and bond coat pool interior
- Apply new Pebble Tec or Pebble Sheen finish with ten year warranty; (Pebbly Tec Blue Lagoon)
- Detail wash interior
- Refill by owner
+ Replace existing pool waterline time [$5,040]
- Remove & haul away existing tile
- Repair sub-surface as needed
- Set new 6"x6" frost-proof tile supplied by POOL COMPANY (Fujiwa Tile - Tibet Iron Gate)
- Grout tile joints
*Removal & Replacement of Existing Deck behind coping $12,400
+ Demolition and removal of existing deck
+ Replace existing pool deck with new 4" pour w/ compacted gravel base
+ Poured into rebar appropriate mesh
+ Choice of Brushed Concrete or Exposed Aggregate Deck (exposed aggregate)
+ Coping Option #1 $5350
- Apply new continuous-pour, Brushed Concrete coping to pool
OR
+ Coping Option #2 $8,560 (picked this option)
- Lay and Mortar set new irregular pattern, Natural Stone coping (Sandy Creek)

+ Install two (2each) new skimmers $5,000
- includes all necessary plumbing hookups
+ Install all new plumbing to newly pour equipment pad $5,000
- new pad poured into appropriate rebar and mesh
- Includes all necessary gas, electric and plumbing hookups
+ Install all new equipment at equipment pad $15,000
- Gas pool heater
- Cartridge-style filter
- Circulation pump
- Erosion-fed automatic chlorination system
- Zodiac Nature 2 mineral bed purification system
- iAqualink PDA handheld, wireless remote control system w/ smartphone app

Total: $67,360

And here are a few pictures of the pool....we have taken off the tile and coping ourselves:View attachment 48037View attachment 48038View attachment 48039

Last edited:
Re: Poor Rehab Bid Opinions

$15,000 for equipment? That's crazy.
Get a sand filter.
Ditch the Nature 2 gimmick. "erosion fed" how fancy for a tablet feeder...lol
Get a normal timer. All the automated stuff does is break and 2 or 3 years later its obsolete and you cant even get parts.
Ask for specific model number and specs for EVERYTHING. I don't know much about the build quotes but $15k for just equipment is highway robbery. Maybe $5k plus install? Geez...

Stick with the cartridge filter, sand is bottom of the line and least quality filtration. Get the automation! You won't regret it. However, Does seem high, I would get multiple bids. Is pump a variable speed pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick with the cartridge filter, sand is bottom of the line and least quality filtration. Get the automation! You won't regret it. However, Does seem high, I would get multiple bids. Is pump a variable speed pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work on multiple clients pools with every type of filter from the most expensive DE and Cartridge systems to sand and a variety of "alternative media" (LOL no comment). The clarity difference is not visible to the naked eye and not worth the hassle and expense of a cartridge system or DE. I used to be PRO Cart!!! all the way! because it's all I knew and read theories to the "clarity effect" on this forum. (right JohnT?!) All that being said, after 8 years of hands on pool maintenance - I would recommend sand every time now. It's so much easier from a maintenance standpoint and ease of use. The bigger the sand filter, the better ;)

ALWAYS get more than one quote.......try for at least 5 if at all possible. You need models of every piece if equipment so you can make sure to compare apples to apples.

Kim:cat:

We have gotten multiple quotes, this was just the company that was the most recommended in our area. The other bids are coming in around $40k for roughly the same thing (minus the pebble tec).

Any thoughts on moving the pool equipment within 10 feet of a large patio/entertaining space, or would it be better to have it out further in the yard? Currently it's slightly below the pool (down a slight hill) in the MIDDLE of the yard, but wanted to move it off to the side.

The coping is 111 linear feet. It's a kidney shaped, diving pool. It's roughly 40 x 20. Goes from about 4 feet deep to about 10 feet (maybe slightly more) feet deep. More than half of the pool is over 6 feet deep. Roughly 35k gallons.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 48083View attachment 48084

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.