Thinking about changing lights

Jul 2, 2012
Cupertino,CA
I have a plaster pool, about 8 yrs old.
When built, we had Jandy lights installed; one in the pool, one in the spa. I think that they are called "color splash". ????
They are both failing. I have changed bulbs and the silicone gaskets, but MOST of the lamps are out again.

Is it possible, without getting into the actual pool wall, to install a whole new light fixture in the existing recess?

I have looked online for lights. Most of the ads list the length of the cord. Is it correct to assume that the new cord is pulled through the conduit, so that there is no splice near the actual pool surface?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Hey Mike, That is correct

You would cut the cord at the light, attach (very well) the new cord to the old and pull through conduit back to your panel and then enjoy your new light...

The new LED's are expensive but everyone seems to like them

and if it breaks or comes loose you can do this :)

Unless it's a very old pool the wires will not go all the way back to the panel or switch. There will be a water tight junction box near the pool, probably in the area of the light. This is where the wire will be pulled to.

They ship worldwide so that is not a concern. I get my led screw type lights replacement from ebay/china (that's where most are manufactured anyway). We live in a global manufacturing world. Guess where the Hayward led multicolour lights are made?
My point is I would get a resin filled solid led Retro fit light.
Here's another shipping straight from china.
NEW Stainess Resin Filled LED Swimming Pool Lights 18W RGB Multi Color 12V IP68 | eBay

If I had to change out my entire fixture i would get the sealed led plastic type like below. Most bulletproof waterproof design I would imagine. Get the retrofit adapter as well that works for your situation.
LED Blue Underwater Swimming Pool Strong Light Retrofit Multi Voltage 12V 24V | eBay
The problem sith this light is that it does not show UL listed for pool use. Personally I stick with items that are tested and listed for the use you intend to use them for.

- - - Updated - - -

They ship worldwide so that is not a concern. I get my led screw type lights replacement from ebay/china (that's where most are manufactured anyway). We live in a global manufacturing world. Guess where the Hayward led multicolour lights are made?
My point is I would get a resin filled solid led Retro fit light.
Here's another shipping straight from china.
NEW Stainess Resin Filled LED Swimming Pool Lights 18W RGB Multi Color 12V IP68 | eBay
Again, while they may/probably will work they are not UL listed for the application. Forbid there is an accident tyhe insurance companies will be tearing apart every part of the pool. You don't want to leave them an "out" for coverage.

Where pools and electricity mix is not an area you want to experiment with.

Lets say this a different way. Neither of the lights you show are UL listed or listed by anyone else for that matter.

Therefore they CANNOT legally be installed in a pool in the United States no matter what their ebay listing states.

Only listed lighting fixtures and bulbs may be installed in a pool in the US and Canada.

This is why they are sold on ebay and nowhere else.

Its your pool your choice. But neither of these lights are legal for pool installation in the US.

The Hayward lights you mention are UL listed. See below:

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literature/colorlogic-160-320-brochure.pdf

Hmmm an oversimplification perhaps? Again do a search for resin filled leds and purchase them from the one of the seller/producers that your comfortable with including the us and canada that are ul certified. They are the closest thing to trouble free and waterproof technology currently I believe. How about this one for instance...ul certified?
China LED Underwater Light Stainlss Steel 316 Ultra Thin Full Resin Filled LED Pool Light Swimming Pool Lamp Ce RoHS UL Certified - China PAR56 Pool Light, LED PAR56

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks folks, for all the input.
I will do some more research on the newer LED's.
I have confirmed that there is no junction box between the pool and the equipment area. That is where I will be pulling the new wire to.
I was most curious about which manufacturers would fit into the existing recess in the pool wall.
I have no desire to drain any water or affect the plaster surface.

I will try to post a picture after I am done with my upgrade.

Thanks again,

Mike

The jbox may be on the pad. That's where mine is. If your pool is less than 20 yrs old it almost certainly has a box. If you have the info on the light that is in there you can call Inyo or sun play and those folks will tell you a comparable light.

Hi,

You said in your first post you had Jandy lights installed. I would look for Jandy replacements, but you can check your niche if you remove your light.

Disconnect the power first, then there should be a single screw at 12 o'clck. Undo that and you should be able to pull your light up on deck to check model number etc. It's designed so you can do it from the deck with only your arms getting wet.

I have a Pentair light niche and it is only certified for Pentair lights... I would assume Jandy do the same thing, and I recommend you double-check your niche before ordering.

What do the wires from the light connect into the the equipment area? There must be some kind of j-box there?

ft.

What do the wires from the light connect into the the equipment area? There must be some kind of j-box there?

ft.
As the conduit running from the niche to the junction box is flooded, it normally does not run back to the pad. It's generally 8 - 10 feet from the pool edge, but at least 18 inches above the water level. Most I see are hidden in bushes or even burried - not that this situation is correct. The light fixture comes with the cord (wire) attached & sealed so it is not replaceable. When you buy it they come standard with 10, 25 or 50 foot cords. Anything over that is generally a special order.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.