Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thinking about changing lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Thinking about changing lights

I have a plaster pool, about 8 yrs old.
    When built, we had Jandy lights installed; one in the pool, one in the spa. I think that they are called "color splash". ????
    They are both failing. I have changed bulbs and the silicone gaskets, but MOST of the lamps are out again.

Is it possible, without getting into the actual pool wall, to install a whole new light fixture in the existing recess?

I have looked online for lights. Most of the ads list the length of the cord. Is it correct to assume that the new cord is pulled through the conduit, so that there is no splice near the actual pool surface?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    12,000 Gal plaster pool & spa.
    Jandy 2.7HP V.S. e pump, with IQpump control.
    Jandy AquaPure 1400. Jandy PDA.
    Solar heat. Jandy 400btu ng heater.
    Pentair 420 cartridge filter. Polaris 360 sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Thinking about changing lights

Hey Mike, That is correct

You would cut the cord at the light, attach (very well) the new cord to the old and pull through conduit back to your panel and then enjoy your new light...

The new LED's are expensive but everyone seems to like them

and if it breaks or comes loose you can do this

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Hey Mike, That is correct

You would cut the cord at the light, attach (very well) the new cord to the old and pull through conduit back to your panel and then enjoy your new light...

The new LED's are expensive but everyone seems to like them

and if it breaks or comes loose you can do this

Great video, thanks for sharing!
    16x36 inground pool - 8.5 deep, 3.5' shallow vinyl - Pentair VS 011018 Pump, Hayward 72 SQ FT Pro-Grid Vertical Grid In Ground Pool DE Filter, Easytouch 520705 (with IC40 SWG), Pentair Mastertemp 300 (460734)

4. Back To Top    #4

Unless it's a very old pool the wires will not go all the way back to the panel or switch. There will be a water tight junction box near the pool, probably in the area of the light. This is where the wire will be pulled to.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

If I had to change out my entire fixture i would get the sealed led plastic type like below. Most bulletproof waterproof design I would imagine. Get the retrofit adapter as well that works for your situation.
    LED Blue Underwater Swimming Pool Strong Light Retrofit Multi Voltage 12V 24V | eBay
    Pool 3800 gaĺlon glass tiled concrete approximately 10 years old/ Puerto Vallarta
    Hayward sand filter S166t.
    Pool Pump Silver10/1115 1hp
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp
    Hard Municipal Water tf-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

The light recommended by first is only sold in Australia.

There are several videos on YouTube about changing light fixtures. Into pools has one
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

They ship worldwide so that is not a concern. I get my led screw type lights replacement from ebay/china (that's where most are manufactured anyway). We live in a global manufacturing world. Guess where the Hayward led multicolour lights are made?
    My point is I would get a resin filled solid led Retro fit light.
    Here's another shipping straight from china.
    NEW Stainess Resin Filled LED Swimming Pool Lights 18W RGB Multi Color 12V IP68 | eBay
    Pool 3800 gaĺlon glass tiled concrete approximately 10 years old/ Puerto Vallarta
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by FirstVallartaPool View Post
    If I had to change out my entire fixture i would get the sealed led plastic type like below. Most bulletproof waterproof design I would imagine. Get the retrofit adapter as well that works for your situation.
    LED Blue Underwater Swimming Pool Strong Light Retrofit Multi Voltage 12V 24V | eBay
    The problem sith this light is that it does not show UL listed for pool use. Personally I stick with items that are tested and listed for the use you intend to use them for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FirstVallartaPool View Post
    They ship worldwide so that is not a concern. I get my led screw type lights replacement from ebay/china (that's where most are manufactured anyway). We live in a global manufacturing world. Guess where the Hayward led multicolour lights are made?
    My point is I would get a resin filled solid led Retro fit light.
    Here's another shipping straight from china.
    NEW Stainess Resin Filled LED Swimming Pool Lights 18W RGB Multi Color 12V IP68 | eBay
    Again, while they may/probably will work they are not UL listed for the application. Forbid there is an accident tyhe insurance companies will be tearing apart every part of the pool. You don't want to leave them an "out" for coverage.

Where pools and electricity mix is not an area you want to experiment with.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Lets say this a different way. Neither of the lights you show are UL listed or listed by anyone else for that matter.

Therefore they CANNOT legally be installed in a pool in the United States no matter what their ebay listing states.

Only listed lighting fixtures and bulbs may be installed in a pool in the US and Canada.

This is why they are sold on ebay and nowhere else.

Its your pool your choice. But neither of these lights are legal for pool installation in the US.

The Hayward lights you mention are UL listed. See below:

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/lite...0-brochure.pdf
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

Hmmm an oversimplification perhaps? Again do a search for resin filled leds and purchase them from the one of the seller/producers that your comfortable with including the us and canada that are ul certified. They are the closest thing to trouble free and waterproof technology currently I believe. How about this one for instance...ul certified?
    China LED Underwater Light Stainlss Steel 316 Ultra Thin Full Resin Filled LED Pool Light Swimming Pool Lamp Ce RoHS UL Certified - China PAR56 Pool Light, LED PAR56
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp

11. Back To Top    #11

That last one is a wholesale seller.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks folks, for all the input.
    I will do some more research on the newer LED's.
    I have confirmed that there is no junction box between the pool and the equipment area. That is where I will be pulling the new wire to.
    I was most curious about which manufacturers would fit into the existing recess in the pool wall.
    I have no desire to drain any water or affect the plaster surface.

I will try to post a picture after I am done with my upgrade.

Thanks again,

Mike
    12,000 Gal plaster pool & spa.
    Jandy 2.7HP V.S. e pump, with IQpump control.
    Jandy AquaPure 1400. Jandy PDA.
    Solar heat. Jandy 400btu ng heater.
    Pentair 420 cartridge filter. Polaris 360 sweep.

13. Back To Top    #13

The jbox may be on the pad. That's where mine is. If your pool is less than 20 yrs old it almost certainly has a box. If you have the info on the light that is in there you can call Inyo or sun play and those folks will tell you a comparable light.

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi,

You said in your first post you had Jandy lights installed. I would look for Jandy replacements, but you can check your niche if you remove your light.

Disconnect the power first, then there should be a single screw at 12 o'clck. Undo that and you should be able to pull your light up on deck to check model number etc. It's designed so you can do it from the deck with only your arms getting wet.

I have a Pentair light niche and it is only certified for Pentair lights... I would assume Jandy do the same thing, and I recommend you double-check your niche before ordering.

What do the wires from the light connect into the the equipment area? There must be some kind of j-box there?

ft.
    ~22,000 gallons, freeform, Pebbletec, beach entry AquaRite SWCG v1.33 Hayward Tristar SP325EE pump for main draw & skimmer Hayward sand filter S310S 1.5 hp booster pump Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, skimmer, debris containment canister Waterfall Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED light in Pentair stainless wet niche Jandy Lite2 heater: removed Auto-fill: deactivated

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by familytr33 View Post
    What do the wires from the light connect into the the equipment area? There must be some kind of j-box there?

ft.
    As the conduit running from the niche to the junction box is flooded, it normally does not run back to the pad. It's generally 8 - 10 feet from the pool edge, but at least 18 inches above the water level. Most I see are hidden in bushes or even burried - not that this situation is correct. The light fixture comes with the cord (wire) attached & sealed so it is not replaceable. When you buy it they come standard with 10, 25 or 50 foot cords. Anything over that is generally a special order.