air in pump question

Aug 21, 2015
Parkersburg, WV
Hello all and thanks in advance for reading or offering suggestions.

I have a 20X40 in ground concrete pool (built circa 1972) with a hayward 270T sand filter (new last year) and a hayward super Pump (looks newish but was bought with house). I am having issues with air in the filter basket. I have read here as much as I can and applied several of the suggestions. I have tightened all the connections, lubed the filter basket gasket etc. I am still experiencing some air in the basket but much less after applying the fixes/suggestions. I ran all last year with no issues or air. This year my dear wife got a little ahead of me and we ended up dumping a fair amount of winter debris and leaves in the pool. I have been filtering and cleaning for a week solid.I have backwashed twice daily and gone from cloudy jade pond water to clearish water that looks promising. It seemed like for a while the bottom intake might have been clogged with debris and the pump was pulling only from the skimmer. During that time was when the air issue started.

So to my questions:

1. I have noticed that when the selector valve is in the filter position I get air. When I backwash or rinse the air goes away and the basket is full with no air (or very very little). Is this normal or is it pointing to a leak issue with the sand filter? It seems odd and if I understand the filter paths correctly eliminates the air leak in the intake piping?

2. What is the downside to air in the filter? I am guessing less efficiency, wear and tear on the pump?

Again thanks for all the help here!

greg

Welcome to TFP :)

The only way air can get into the pump is on the suction side... can you turn your 3 way valve to only the skimmer, then only to the main drain.. do both ways have air in the pump basket? Have you tried the shaving cream around the pump lid..

here is a page on finding leaks.. Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.