I'd like to add lights around my existing pool any option?

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I have a kidney shape pool 16x32, the one light isn't really providing me the lighting that I'd like.

There's an unused return line that I can technically pull power through but it's probably 18" below the water line. Would it be ok if pulled a low voltage 12v line through it and somehow rig a light to it?

Or perhaps a light low profile enough where I can mount onto the return

all kinds of bad things happen with lights, pool, and voltage and nothing good comes from rigging it :)

can you replace the light you have now with a more powerful one?

technically speaking, the pool light is just a hole in the wall with a conduit with a sealed enclosure. I've already replaced my old school lights with some color changing LED ones. I like the idea of hoping a strip light going around the perimeter of the pool.

If the return line is independent of the other returns at least 1.5" and is straight for several inches at the pool they do make nicheless leds, they are not cheep but they do work. You will still need to follow code but given the right circumstances it can be done. Take a look at THIS if it sounds like something you still want to do there are several on here that can link you to the code requirements.

Atttech is correct. It's possible to do this with nicheless lights if there is enough of a straight run. There are issues with how you access up the back side. But it can be done to code. Your transformer installation must meet certain requirements. You probably need a pool electrician

A strip led around the pool is NOT permitted because there are no strip led lights with a UL listing for use in pools. No matter what the Internet says if it doesn't have a UL or other listing for use in a pool it can't be in a pool in the USA. Fiber optic strip lights are perfectly ok however.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.